sand filter not filling

May 19, 2012
We replaced the sand in the filter last summer. this year everything is working smoothly but the sand filter doesn't appear to actually fill up completely. Ideas. We are novices caretaking a house with a pool. thanks so much.

Sheila

Hi Dave- No altho' air bubbles are coming up in the pool I don't see obvious bubbles in the pump strainer basket. The sand filter has a stop cock on top that when opened should, once the filter is full, have a bit of water that comes out. Then you close it. This year no water is making it to the top where that valve is. You can feel air coming out but...no water, no matter how long you wait. I hope that makes sense as I'm unsure of how to describe it exactly. Thanks.

It's called a bleeder valve. It let's air "bleed" out of the system making it easier for the pump to fill up the filter.

What does your pressure gauge say? both pump on and pump off?

Well nice to have a name for it!! LOL. The pressure gauge usually reads about 10 when pump is on. I need to look when it is off - will check tomorrow. The pool is at a friends house and we maintain it together. So will check tomorrow and get back to you. The filter is working as we finally have clear water, etc. Just worried about long term use as summer is here.

Welcome to TFP.

If you're constantly getting air in the filter you have a suction side air leak somewhere. The fact that the bleeder valve never sees water and that there's air coming out the return jets confirms that.

Start by looking at all the common places.
Remove, clean and lube the pump basket lid o-ring.
Remove and reseal the drain plugs. There should be at least 2.
Check the skimmer weir to make sure it's operating freely
Check the water level to make sure the skimmer isn't creating a vortex.

If it's none of those, run water over the fittings while the pump is running and see if the air stops.

Also, tell us what equipment you have. makes, models, etc. and a pic of the pad would be nice.

Thanks Dave. The pressure when pump is off is 0 so that is good, isn't it? I was thinking we had to lube the o-ring so nice to get confirmation. I will keep you posted. Equiptment list coming tomorrow. It is an old filter HRT (I think) will give model number. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.