Passed OCLT, water is clear, what's next?

Apr 3, 2012
I passed the OCLT and the water is finally clear. I just tested and got the following:

FC: 7.5
CC: 0
PH: 6.8
TA: 140
CYA: 20
CH: 70
Salt: 2220

I'm going to retest the CYA tomorrow. I was getting a much higher number before but my water was also very cloudy. Now that it's clear I got a reading of around 20. I actually filled the tube but could still barely see the black dot. I was getting a higher number on the salt also. I did have to vacuum a lot to waste to clear the water up and replace with fresh water so that could be the reason CYA and salt dropped as well. I'm really struggling to keep the PH up. I've been using borax to increase it but it falls back down after a day or two. What should I do next?

VERY unusual to have falling pH. How have you been chlorinating? SWG? Use 20 Mule Team Borax to raise pH to 7.4 and then keep it above 7.00 regardless of how much Borax it takes.

Cloudy pool water typically does not interfere with CYA test....how much CYA did you put in?

I've been using the SWG and bleach to shock, mostly bleach. I've been using the 20 mule team borax but will add more tonight. I put 7 pounds of stabilizer in the pool back in April. I've been working at it for about a month now to get it cleaned up. I would say I have replaced about 25% total of the water through backwashing and vacuuming to waste since the CYA and salt was added. Most of it was replaced in the last week.

Your CYA test is lower probably because you have replaced so much water.

I still find it VERY odd that your pH is dropping. Bring it back up and keep us posted. I think you will find that it will stabilize.

pH is always first - it can damage metal things like heaters. It needs to come up. You could try borax but looking at the numbers, I'd say some vigorous aeration would do the job. This article has some links that show aerators. Then worry about CYA, it's too low for a SWG. You'll burn out the cell trying to keep up with the sunlight losses.

I have a small submersible pump that can connect to a garden hose. I'll pick up a cheap sprinkler at Wal-Mart to have on hand in case the pH drops again. I can just sit it on the deck and let it spray back into the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.