Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ? about pool calculator

1. Back To Top    #1

? about pool calculator

May be asking a dumb question here but when using the pool calculator to determine the correct amount of chems to add to pool to balance water. What does it mean when it says add x amount of muratic acid or CYA by volumn? Please explain in layman terms thanks.
    41K L shape Vinyl IG, 2.0hp Jandy stealth pump, 300lb sand filter, Autopilot Dig-220 SC-60 cell, Dolphin Oasis Z5.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ? about pool calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Simearl
    May be asking a dumb question here but when using the pool calculator to determine the correct amount of chems to add to pool to balance water. What does it mean when it says add x amount of muratic acid or CYA by volumn? Please explain in layman terms thanks.
    Some chemicals are measured by weight, and some by volume, and some by both. The term "by volume" means to use ounces as in 8ths of a cup, where the term "by weight" would mean to use ounces as in 16ths of a pound.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

The pool calculator said I needed to add 187oz by weight of stabilizer. Do I just add 187oz or do I need to do a calculation then add stabilizer?
    41K L shape Vinyl IG, 2.0hp Jandy stealth pump, 300lb sand filter, Autopilot Dig-220 SC-60 cell, Dolphin Oasis Z5.

4. Back To Top    #4
    With stabilizer, as with many of the chemicals you add to a pool, it is better to add about 3/4 of the total amount and then retest to see where you are and adjust from there. It is much easier to add stabilizer than it is to take it out, so you want to approach the goal in two or three steps instead of all at once so you don't overshoot. Remember that stabilizer can take up to a week to dissolve, so wait a week after adding some before retesting.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the info. I will be working on getting the water balanced this weekend.