Correcting High Chlorine & Low PH

May 19, 2012
Due to some uncontrollable life issues, our above ground pool chemistry went unchecked for a while and chlorine was wide open :| We have a 22 thousand gal. pool which now has off-the-chart high chlorine and PH only about 6.8. Have turned off chlorine input for now. Would it be best to let it ride a couple days before adjusting/adding Any chemicals, checking to see how the chlorine & PH are doing? We have had 6 inches of rain in just 8 days also.

Re: CORRECTING HIGH CHLORINE & LOW PH

Hi welcome to TFP! Sorry you have been having some difficulties. How high is the chlorine? Do you have a complete set of test results you could post? Our advice will depend on what your current test numbers are. For example, free chlorine (FC) levels in excess of 10 ppm will temporarily raise pH, so it is disconcerting that you report "off the chart" FC levels but your pH is 6.8. Depending on your FC level the pH could actually be lower than what is reported. Prolonged low pH can damage equipment and causes eye and skin irritation when swimming. You need to bring the pH up, but how much it needs to come up is related to the current FC level.

Also a complete set of test results will tell us if you need to adjust any other chemicals. Here at TFP the recommended chemical levels are a little different than the standard pool industry recommendations. Telling us levels are "high", "low", or "fine" doesn't give us enough information to base a recommendation off of.

Are you using a chlorine tab feeder, or a salt water chlorine generator (SWG), or a liquid chlorine pump?

Thank you all for the input :) We have an inline puck chlorine feeder, also have the pool frog (which was empty and turned off). We have Hard water, no softener. I use a Pentair Pool and Spa Test Kit. Highest number it shows on Chlorine residual is 3.0 and that tested water would be yellow - it is REDDISH ORANGE now - NEVER have seen it even so high as 3.0 before :-\ The Total Alk. test water went clear with only 2 added drops which is only 20! Normal for our pool has been 120 - 140. Wondering if dumping a good bit of water and replacing with fresh would be helpful.

Well I just found a note which tells me that if the Chlorine is above 3.0 I may obtain a false result when testing for PH and should lower Chlorine before performing other tests. So now I need to know fastest way to lower that Chlorine and of course am thinking letting out a good bit of water and replacing with fresh, and keeping Chlorine feed cut off a while might be best ? No one is swimming in it yet.

Forget about the high FC having an effect on your pH test. If anything, (as Zea mentioned) the pH is actually lower than tested!

Based on your description, your pH and TA crashed. This is common when using trichlor pucks when the pH and TA are not monitored closely.

You need to get the pH and TA up ASAP.

Thank you Mod Squad ! I Love your Chinese proverb by the way ! So now - how to correct that ph and TA without a 2 hour trip to my normal pool supply :-| Nearest things I have available are Walmart and HEB grocery store :-\ Since I don't know how long this has been so bad I am worried about the liner :-(

You should be able to find borax to raise the pH and baking soda to raise the TA at WallyWorld.

Use the PoolCalculator.com to help you try to figure out the amount you might need.

If you have questions, post back and someone will be around to help.

btw, you don't need to visit that pool store that is two hours away!

All you need are the locals you mentioned and a good test kit. See link in my sig for the fav test kit, the TF100.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

SO glad I found this website!! On the road to recovery here now!! The poolcalculator.com is Great! The TF100 test kit is on my list now - hopefully next month (just can not do that right this minute). I am certainly interested in not having to be tied to a pool store 2 hours away. Problem with any of the pool supply places (sorry, maybe what y'all are) is that they are always trying to sell their products and it just gets to be too many chemicals and too costly :-\ Found that I can get the Borax at the local HEB grocery (assume you mean just plain ol' Borax powder?) I thought it was good to circulate for a while after addition of one thing, test again before adding something else (just added 38.75 lbs of bicarb.- baking soda ) The calculator says the baking soda will also raise the ph. Obviously, I have never really grasped how all this works :-\ We do have 1.5 horse Hayward pump, older Pentair, Tagelus sand filter that I'd have to look up what size. So if I can keep the pool healthy with supplies from 'the locals', I can forget pool frog ? We are in the Texas hill country - can our area be a lot different than what you normally deal with in pool treatment?

tejas_me said:
SO glad I found this website!! On the road to recovery here now!!
:-D

The poolcalculator.com is Great! The TF100 test kit is on my list now - hopefully next month (just can not do that right this minute).
:goodjob:

I am certainly interested in not having to be tied to a pool store 2 hours away. Problem with any of the pool supply places (sorry, maybe what y'all are) is that they are always trying to sell their products and it just gets to be too many chemicals and too costly :-\
Nope, we are not here to sell anything. We are here to help. But, we do recommend only two or three test kits.

Found that I can get the Borax at the local HEB grocery (assume you mean just plain ol' Borax powder?)
Yep, 20 MULE TEAM BORAX from the laundry aisle. You can see a pic of the box in the Visual Enclyclopedia in Pool School.

I thought it was good to circulate for a while after addition of one thing, test again before adding something else
:goodjob: Exactly, take it slow.

(just added 38.75 lbs of bicarb.- baking soda ) The calculator says the baking soda will also raise the ph. Obviously, I have never really grasped how all this works :-\ We do have 1.5 horse Hayward pump, older Pentair, Tagelus sand filter that I'd have to look up what size. So if I can keep the pool healthy with supplies from 'the locals', I can forget pool frog ?
Well, the pool frog adds copper in your pool and we do NOT recommend that for any reason. Copper can stain pool and turn blonde hair green :shock:

We are in the Texas hill country - can our area be a lot different than what you normally deal with in pool treatment?
Nope, we're all about the same! In fact, we have two mods that live in Texas :-D and I'm sure they'll be around in a while :wink:

Keep us updated esp with the pH and TA.

To put your mind at ease..........TFP is NOT a pool store! And we generally recommend against them due to testing errors and "overselling" which you have already experienced. Pool frog is genreally recommended AGAINST since it can add metals to your water that stains your liner, green/blonde hair issues and such. We DO recommend a good test kit mentioned in pool school so YOU can take control of YOUR pool with mostly grocery store/cheaper items. Baking soda to raise your TA will will raise your PH but not enough in your case to worry about

Hello mod squad. I just placed an order for the TF100 test kit. I am beginning to wonder if my existing kit chems are too old and not working correctly. My chlorine test water is still going red orange when the highest shown on their chart at 3.0 would be yellow :-\ After the 38 lbs of baking soda, my pH is prob. 7.0 (just a tad more pale than their 7.2) The TA - omigosh - 220 now :-\ I'm like - WHAT now ?! Almost afraid to do anything else to it. I left it circulating from adding the soda until this morning - but chlorine dispenser and frog are turned to -0- .

Wait the 2-4 days for your kit to arrive before continuing to chase numbers that may be wrong anyway. Spend the waiting time reading Pool School (button at upper right) and using a net to get any leaves/debris out of the pool ... or sweep the deck and weed the flower garden etc :)

Well, at least the pool is not green ! Been there done that. Okay, the vegie garden always seems to be sprouting another weed or two :) The Pool School is great, so have begun studying that - and shared the site address with a friend who is about to put in a new above ground pool :) But would rather be swimming :-\

Received my TF100 test kit today. Just ran the chlorine test with the k - 1000 kit included and get the SAME results - still shows very Red Orange! I am getting discouraged. Why on earth hasn't that chlorine gone down by now with none being added since I first began this on May 19th. The water is circulated every night for 12 hrs, with nothing in the Pool Frog dispenser and it also turned to -0-. The chlorine dispenser is turned to -0- but there are fragments of pucks still in there.

Appreciate your help ! New wrinkle - after my last note here, I decided to run this test (the OTO Chlorine Test TC - Total Chlorine which is the first thing mentioned on your extended test kit directions) -- on our TAP water. Our TAP water turns Very Yellow indicating at least 5, maybe a bit over !!! Never have run into anything like this before. We had an 18K gal. above ground pool for years back in Williamson Co. We have had this 22K gal above ground pool since 2003. I have dumped almost 1/4 of the water and was looking at adding that much fresh water before I discovered the high chlorene content in the tap water :-\ I will run the FAS-DPD test you mention.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.