The 2 year Leak

likwid

Jun 11, 2011
Waldorf, MD
Been battling a Leak for nearly 2 years now and Cant seem to find it.

When I first suspected a Leak I made posts about it and tried to find it. I did find a leak where the pool latter on the deep end rests against the wall. It cut a huge gash in the Liner about 1 inch up and 1/4th an in across. I patched it, tested it with food coloring to insure it was not leaking anymore. All Seemed well. However the pool still seemed to leak at the same rate. Called in a pool company who verified to me that the patches I put on are holding, but could not find any leaks what so ever. The bucket tests shows 1.4 to .5 inch in the bucket and in the pool 1 to 1.5 inches a day.

Fast forward to pool opening day. Water drained all the way down 3 to 4 inches under that huge gash I mention before. Before refilling I took off the patch (it had a-lot of dirt behind it, but it was done underwater). I cleaned the area as best I could and re-patched. I also inspected the pool around the water line and at lest 5 inches above the water line to other holes. After I filled the pool back up and did the opening procedures.

Now it seems like I'm losing the same rate as before (bucket test exactly the same). I re-inspected that patch again with food coloring and it seems like nothing is leaking. I did not put the latter back since patching it the first time. There are two latter and I just left this one out.

Some facts

> Pool liner age = 8 years
> Pool age is over 15 years
> ~40,000 gallons 3 1/2 deep on the shallow side 8 1/2 on the deep. 20 x 40 but not perfectly rectangle. Its bows out in the middle to 22 feet and back 20 on the ends.

I tried every trick I could think of and search on the internet about. I am on my last desperate move which is

1. Fix a Leak (I read all the posts on this site about it and countless reviews). I really don't want to do it becuase once its in the pool.. exactly how do I get it out? The instructions online say after 72 hours switch it back on to filter and filter it out. I have a DE filter and would it not just bind to my filter?
2. Complete pool renovation. The J-track is an old model and my cement is sinking in areas (been like that since I bought the house). New J-track, New Liner, New decking.
3. call in American leak detectors. However I refuse to pay 1500 dollars just for them to look (that what they quoted me). If I am going to pay 1500 for somebody to just look, I might as well go with number 2.

I want to do option 2 but not this year. But this leak is driving me insane. Anybody got any ideas before I go mad looking for the problem?

No , clear water nothing in it, nothing looking out of the ordinary.

Before filling I got in (water was clear but cold :( ) and looked very close a the level and about 4 inches up. I also put my hands along it to feel for any cuts. Nothing.

its like the bucket test is lying to me. I must have ran the bucket test for days with the exact same results. The only reason i don't throw it off is becuase the water level did go down 4 feet from where I left it.

Try pricing other leak detection services, I paid one about $350 a couple of years ago to find a leak in an elbow fitting in the pressure side return line, the guy was from 100 miles away, and had 2 or 3 other jobs in scheduled the same day in the area so the travel charge was only about $75, but I did have to wait 2 or 3 weeks for him to show up.

Got 3 more quotes from 3 more companies. All over 1,000 dollars which i think is a bit insane. Does anybody really pay that amount? I'm willing to spend 500 or less but not 1,000 - 2,000 just for somebody to look and may or may not find it.

Sounds like I'm on the last option which is the questionable fix a leak product.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.