Filtering algae

Jul 12, 2010
I am having trouble getting all the dead algae out of my pool. I have done everything as far as shocking. My pool went from green to blue in one day. My only problem is my pool has zero visability. How long will it take to filter out all the algae. I have a sand filter. I have been adding filter aid to speed up the process, but I see zero noticible difference in the last day

I have read that it could take a week. That just sounds like a long time.
My filter is fine. No channeling.
I add a filter aid that is an environmentally friendly version of DE. Made out of cotton. Works great, just more expensive.
I don't add by the directions. I just add about half a cup to a full cup and within 24 hours I have to backwash, usually sooner.
Would a flockulant speed up this process?

It is unlikely that floc will do much, if anything, for your pool. You just need filter time and patience. Run your filter 24/7, backwashing when needed, and it will clear eventually.

I have been reading that the dead algae should sink to the bottom. Looking at my pool, it is blue now, but super clowdy. It doesn't appear that anything is sinking to the bottom.
I opened the pool on 5-17. We are now at 5-21 and the visibility is barely better. I started off not being able to see a foot beneth the surface, now I can see about 3 feet, but it seems like I will never get the clowdienss to go away.
My numers are TA = 120, pH 7.5, CYA 30, and I am trying to keep my FC level at 15.
Last night before bed the FC was at 20, and when I checked it again this morning, it was 15. The CC before bed and when I woke up was zero both times.
Any advice?

Ok,
I now have my FC up to 20 and will keep it there overnight. Just checked my levels and I am right at 20 FC and 1 CC.
I will keep it there tonight and hopfully things get better soon.
The pool looks blue, just super cloudy!!

Update:
My pool has been looking better each and every day. I am now on day 11 of shocking my pool since opening.
The looks clear and blue today, but I still have a 2-3 ppm FC drop (18 to 15) overnight and my CC is 1.0. My pH was 7.1 last night so I added 3 lbs of soda ash and my pH this morning is till 7.1. Not sure what happened there. TA is at about 120 as of last week.
I also have little spots on the bottom of the pool that I thought might be mustard algae. I have brought the pool up to shocking levels (over 20 ppm FC) numerous times and then swept, getting this "stuff" in circulation, but it always comes back, and in the same spots. It is the stuff that just poofs up when it is touched. It is not dirt or sand. I read that mustard algae usually only grows in the shaddy areas and also tends to be on walls. I don't ever have any on the walls, just the pool floor, and it tends to be in areas of sun and shade, so I am assuming I don't have mustard algae, or at least hoping I don't.
My question here is, how do I get my pH up? Also, how long is too long to shock before I start to suspect some weird problems. The way the pool is looking, I am surpriseed I still have 1.0 CC. Could it have anything to do with adding polyquats yesterday? I put in about 50-60 oz of that stuff.

1. Stop adjusting your pH until you finish the shock process.

2. It sounds like you have been letting your FC dift below shock value frequently. KEEP YOUR CHLORINE UP ALL THE TIME.

3. Tossing in other ingredients (like polyquat) is wasting your money and making the process take longer.

4. Stick to the process described in Pool School and your diligence will begin to pay rewards

5. It takes as long as it takes. You have the same water and organics as everyone else and the same thing will fix your pool....CHLORINE.

6. How often are you backwashing, brushing?

We brush once to twice a day. I was backwashing daily as the pressure was going from 12 to 20-22 once a day.
Over the last 24 hours, the pressure has not increased at all, but like I said, the water is very clear and blue.
So what is my shock level? I thought it was 13 based on my CYA of 30 and 19 for mustard algae (only for 24 hours). I have been above 13 for the whole process. I held the level over 20 for 3 or 4 days this week as well just in case I had mustard algae.

Also, what is wrong with polyquat. I thought I read on here that it would be a good preventative. So I added the initial amount and planned to add the maintinance dose each week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jordangregory said:
Sorry,
To clarify
Pool is clear and blue, but I am still losing FC over night and have 1.0 CC. I also have that chlorine smelll, so I know organics are still being killed
You're so close!

Keep it up, and now's a good time to toss any tools or toys that go into the pool into the pool for a soak. Do you feel brave enough to get in and remove the pool light to clean out anything hiding in the niche?

I got in a few days ago and cleaned behind the light niche. To my surprise, it was clean.
I remember last year when I did this a huge piece of alage came out!

Good idea on getting in all the pool toys and such to make sure they are algae free as well!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.