Broken Pipes

Mar 31, 2007
Hello all I have a question about 2 broken pipes. I have been losing a lot of water out of both my IG pool and attached IG spa. Yesterday I had a leak detection company come out and he tested everything. I am losing water out of 2 broken pipes, one for the spa and one for the pool. Both pipes are returns. He plugged all my returns and my pool and spa hold water fine.

I have expansive soil. The leak guy said he has seen this in my area before. The soil gets wet expand and since I have a concrete deck the pressure is put on the pipes and breaks them.

My question is now I need to saw cut my concrete deck and dig down to the pipes to fix them. Can I fill the trench with sand? Will that help cushion my pipes against soil movements? Anyone else have an experience like this? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Matt, sorry to hear that this has happened to your new pool! That really sucks!! You are correct in thinking that sand will help protect against future trouble. Sand has very little compaction, and would have been a good idea for filling the plumbing trenches originally. The part that really sucks is that you've got to 'jack up' a section of your new deck - the patch will always show However, what's done is done and you have to do whatever it takes to fix the problem (any chance the broken lines are on the back of the spa?)

Again, I'm sorry this happened to your new pool! Get the problem fixed and do what you bought the pool for - enjoy it all summer!!

(this is the answer I posted on www.poolforum.com - I've reposted it here so that folks who can't or don't get there can read it and comment)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.