Exposed Aggregate Deck?

I have had aggregate deck and patio for the past 14 years and it was in 19 yrs when we bought the house. It held up well over all those years. Yes it is a bit rough to walk on. It kept the kids dancing on their toes when they were young. One positive attribute is no kids ran very fast aroung the pool. The wife never liked it. It looks too busy and dates the pool.

We are tearing it out and replacing it with travertine pavers in a couple of weeks. The travertine is $14/foot installed. Smooth finish concrete is about $12/ft in this area and I would imagine exposed aggregate would be close the $14 price.

Hope this helps some...

This does help, thanks for your response!

Interesting that you find it dated.

I am wondering if that is due to the color/size of the rock, or just the exposed aggregate look in general that looks dated?

All the homes built in our same time with a pool all seem to have aggregate. Looking at magazines with current designs and materials either use stamped concrete or natural stone. Pavers seem popular now.

We had our driveway and entryway done in Basalite pavers and we like the look and versitility of it. PG&E found a buried powerline had broke from the neighbors redwood tree roots and were able to remove a patch of pavers, dig access, repair and replace the pavers. Can't tell it was touched.

We were going to overlay the aggregate but Redwood trees around the pool were starting to lift the aggregate slabs enough where we thought replacement would be required to get correct elevations with the new materials. If we ever need to get under the pavers or correct for movement the pavers seem to be a good solution. We also like the that mastic is not needed between the deck and coping with pavers. No grout lines eithers. Cleaner look and less maintenance. The mastic having gaps is most likely contributed to the aggregate lifting as well.

One of the most frequent requests we get regarding pool deck surfaces (we're a concrete repair company) is "what can you do to make it smoother", referring to exposed aggregate concrete. If you're a barefoot runner, it's fine, but if the only barefoot walking you do is inside and on your pool deck, it's quite uncomfortable. It's also more difficult to clean, in that it doesn't shed water as easily, which encourages the growth of mold, and it's easier to damage pressure washing than smoother finishes.

Reactions: TFPNoobie
The comfort of aggregate can depend on the source of the pea gravel used. I have been on exposed aggregate that felt like walking on rocks, and some that was more comfortable than broom-finished concrete.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.