Iron staining, sequesterants and test kits

rkgdmd

Nov 25, 2007
Rockland County, NY
Due to a small partial refill (with well water), I had some pretty significant iron staining in my 30K vinyl liner pool. I intially used Jack's Purple Stuff/Stain Solution #1 which worked very well. I never let pH rise above 7.2 and began slowly adding bleach 24 hours later. Things were great for a week, and then the stains starting returning on steps and swimout. It was especially bad in the spa after the water was heated to 104. Being unable to get Jack's locally I asked if it was OK to use Leslies products and another forum member said it should not be a problem. I used the Leslie's sequesterant and AA "locally" on the steps and spa to remove stains. One day later, the stains returned in the spa (after heating it again). Before this whole fiasco, my aqua test showed iron at .125.....which I didn't think was all that high (it still shows iron at .125 after treatment). Is it possible I'm just not using enough sequesterant? Is the Leslie's stuff just useless? Should I buy the Sequest level test kit, or do most people just wing it. Thanks in advance.

Rob

PS Pool is very slightly cloudy (can only be noticed in deep end) after the Leslie's seques/AA treatment....but is improving....this did not happen with the original Jack's treatment.

Some cloudiness after an AA treatment is normal.

You aren't using enough sequestrant. Remember that sequestrant breaks down slowly, so you need to be adding more regularly.

Iron at 0.125 is not a problem for vinyl liner pools, certainly a problem for fiberglass, and sometimes a problem for plaster pools and sometimes not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.