First TA100 test kit reading

Martha_D

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2012
Putnam, NY
YAY I got my test kit... very exciting.

Background: I had hired a pool maintenance guy last year who came this year and may or may not have added chemcals to the pool. Im not sure, but I know he put a chlorine float in the pool. Here are my readings

Weekly test:
FC - 16
CC - 0
TC - 16
TA - 110
CG - 160
CYA - 60

I did the daily test to try it out:
Chlorine was off the charts bright orange
PH was 7.5 as far as I could tell

ps- chemistry is fun :)

The chlorine floater uses trichlor tablets. Trichlor constantly adds small amounts of CYA to the water. Your CYA is already just above the high end of the recommended range. It won't bee too long before it gets high enough to cause problems. You might want to think about using a different source of chlorine that doesn't add CYA.

Assuming "CG" is actually "CH", the rest of your numbers look good. FC is higher than it needs to be, but not high enough to be a problem.

I'd open that floater, break up the pucks so they dissolve faster, and when they're gone, stash the floater and save it for vacations. There's no other good way to get rid of the pucks, they're probably hazmat. I suppose if you have a weed patch somewhere you could toss them to dissolve....

Save the unused pucks for vacations. Or to replenish CYA lost to splashout or backwashing.

The high FC will come down rapidly once you stop adding more.

If you think chemistry is fun now, order up a speedstir. You ain't seen nothing yet.

I purchased some calcium chloride to raise th CH in my pool... the pool calculator says to add 503 oz (31 lbs) to the pool. Is this correct? It seems excessive, but then again Im a newbie!

Also, I have no idea how to add 31 lbs. of anything to my pool. How should I add it??

Martha_D said:
I purchased some calcium chloride to raise th CH in my pool... the pool calculator says to add 503 oz (31 lbs) to the pool. Is this correct? It seems excessive, but then again Im a newbie!

Also, I have no idea how to add 31 lbs. of anything to my pool. How should I add it??
That would raise CH in your pool by about 100ppm. Is that what you got?

You can broadcast it in the deep end of the pool, pump running. Then brush to dissolve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.