Problem with pump - tried everything!

May 18, 2012
Medford OR
IG with 25K water, pump is OA Smith, very low flow and not pulling water from bottom of pool or skimmer. Sand filter registers 0. Used drainking blew water from pump to skimmer and from skimmer to pump and got flow both ways. Then when I turned pump on doesn't pull water from skimmer, even after priming it several times. Replaced sand in filter, cleaned pump filter, pulled pump apart, relubed seals, lubed o ring on pump, took apart 4-way valve on filter and cleaned, cannot find obstructions anywhere. Not finding airleaks above ground. Checked valves to make sure they're airtight, correct ones are on, when pumping I isolated skimmer so more suction would come from skimmer - didn't work. Isolated drain at bottom of pool - that didn't work. Replaced drain plug - that didn't work.

Yes I separated wet part of pump, oiled seals and put back together. Impeller seems to be ok. What started this whole thing is the filter basket in pump was half full of tile and debris and pump water was very hot, but didn't melt anything. We bought the house 6 months ago and have just started using the pool, don't think the previous owner did any maintenance for 12 years. After the water was hot and I stopped the pump, cleaned the filter, replaced the sand in sand filter, I ran water back through the skimmer with the drainpro and water is flowing between the skimmer and pump and reverse.

No unusual noise in the pump. Turn on and get only very low flow of water, but water from the skimmer and the bottom drain - the pump won't pull it in. Not sure how to check for airleaks but there doesn't seem to be any airleaks. No water leaks anywhere.

I appreciate any help you can offer!

If you can't get this pump going - well, it may be time for a new pump. 12 years is getting on in years for a pool pump (especially if it has been neglected in the past). It might be easier to get a replacement pump than to replace any damaged parts in a 12 year old pump

That A.O. Smith is the MOTOR, not the pump. If you need a replacement pump, I'd say something in the 1 HP - 1.5 HP class (preferably in 2 speeds).

Turn on and get only very low flow of water, but water from the skimmer and the bottom drain - the pump won't pull it in. Not sure how to check for airleaks but there doesn't seem to be any airleaks
I don't understand. When your pump is running, do you see air or bubbles in the pump strainer basket?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.