Automatic Chlorinator Dangers

Mar 22, 2012
I am fairly new to the whole pool world. I recently installed a 24' AGP with a 1HP Hayward pump and sand filter and a automatic chlorinator. Before starting the pool up I loaded the chlorniator up with about 8 3" pucks and started it up. Well I plumbed the filter and chlorinator with the wrong PVC glue so it leaked. I had to cut the chlorinator out and use flex line till I could get a day off to re-plumb. I went out last night to take a few pucks out to throw into the skimmer and was nearly overtaken by the burning smell that came out of the chlorniator when I opened it. I had to literally run away from the pool to get away from the smell. I could see it easily overtaking somebody and possibly severely hurting them. Does anybody have any tips to lessen the effect of opening and servicing the chlorinator? I don't want to have to put on a haz-mat suit and respirator everytime I service it.

I know I'm a newbie but double check the mounting direction of the chlorinator. My original pool contractor installed ours wrong and just reading the owner's manual I determined it was installed backwards. There is a "pick-up" inlet inside the chlorinator that receives pressure from the return line and uses that pressure to "push" the chlorine back into the return line. If the chlorinator is installed backwards, it will never receive the proper amount of pressure to operate.

Good luck!

It is installed correctly. I made sure I read and re-read the directions before installing it. Since I have installed a shut off after the chlOrinator the smell has been less. Here are some pics. [attachment=1:d9865jbv]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340142906.319625.jpg[/attachment:d9865jbv]
[attachment=0:d9865jbv]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340142922.887392.jpg[/attachment:d9865jbv]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340142906.319625.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340142906.319625.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 346
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340142922.887392.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340142922.887392.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 316
I would put my goggles on, Yes goggles, take a deep breathe, crack the top to break the seal step back, clear the air in the goggles (take of), then go back and with goggles and breath hold unscrew lid and take off and put in a safe place. I found the lid was really strong odor, but I always took goggles off, being paranoid about fumes trapped inside, but I took this risk rather than a splashback which I don't want to think of. I only use mine for vacation because I don't want to impose on anyone to test my water and add bleach. The problem I find is what to do with the used pucks when I take out of Chlorinator. When not in use I have my Chlorinator set to 3/4 so it just cycles water, and change the setting every few weeks, so when I need it, I hope it works. I am one of those folks that runs my snow blower around the yard in the summer to make sure it still works and starts the generator every once in a while and runs like a power saw or something to make sure it works. Crud did I say snow, ughhh.

I recently started looking after a communal pool with a puck chlorinator fitted... Before I even analysed the water I knew things were going to be bad but was not expecting a CYA reading of over 400 PPM's. I soon ripped the Dang thing out and installed a liquid chlorinator. Seriously Puck chlorinators will cause you far more problems than they solve. Small private pools are very easy to look after using the BBB method, forget about the Puck chlorinators, if you want automation look at one of the many liquid chlorine dispensers available.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh said:
Before I even analysed the water I knew things were going to be bad but was not expecting a CYA reading of over 400 PPM's.
How did you get a test result of 400 for CYA? They only go to 100 here in the US.

I have the Palintest Pro 9 which is a very accurate photometer. I have check tubes where I check the calibration once a week to ensure my field readings are accurate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.