brown water overnight

Jun 1, 2011
central Illinois
I hope this is the right spot for this question. I have read and read and have received great knowledge from this forum. So here is my problem. I had things headed in the right direction on the pool 2 weeks ago. Then the pump had bearings go out so I was not pumping water for 4 days. My FC got low again but when the pump got back I was able to get it back up. The water was gray but starting to clear when I needed more water. Started adding from the hose, city water, and the next day I have brown water. Is this iron in my water and with my FC at shock level it turned it brown? What should I do?

From the tf100 test kit
FC 11.0
CC 5.0
ph 7.2
TA 90
CYA 25
10,000 gallons inground, fiberglass

Thanks for the help.

I had this problem last year after I had my liner replaced. My DE filter was able to catch the oxidized iron. It took about 6-8 filter cleanings to remove it all. See the picture below of my filter full of iron particles.

Attachments

• IMAG0044.jpg
    IMAG0044.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 93
For me, it only happened that one time. It was when I had just refilled my pool because I got a new liner. It may happen other times, but I don't notice it because the amount of fill water added is much less and therefore there isn't enough oxidized iron to be noticeable. I've also been using sequestrant regularly (8 oz. of Pro Team Metal Magic per week).

I'm on municipal water. I had my fill water tested at the pool store, and they didn't find any iron - for whatever that's worth.

I have loads of iron in my water. I find after the initial fill and shock it gets filtered out. I sometimes speed the process up by putting DE in my sand filter. I get brown iron stains around where my auto-fill valve is piped into the pool shell. I'm considering a "Birm" filter or some kind of pre-treatment tank (that feeds the autofill valve and is where I add chlorine and flocculant before it goes into the pool and drain off the precipitate from the bottom of the barrel).
I did a no-drain acid wash this spring that worked well in getting rid of the stains.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.