Return Pressure ? After Solar has ShutOff

nupoolsoon

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 7, 2008
I have an issue with the return pressure once my solar shuts off and it has been driving me crazy for two, possibly three years now. When the solar shuts off, whether manually or automatically because the water temp has reached its setting, the pressure coming from the return jets is extremely low. I have to then close the return valve for the two sets of steps we have and let the air blow out of the pipes to return the jets to normal pressure. I am done with jumping out of the pool to do this when required. If I don't blow the pipes out and the pump starts the next morning, the pressure is low and I just have to blow them out then. The pressure never recovers on its own without me having to blow the air out. DH called the solar installer and the tech he spoke with said he had never heard of this problem before.

I don't remember having this problem when we installed the pool and solar panels five years ago, but then again, my mind was five years younger too :-D

Our pump is 2hp so it is plenty big, I think.

Does anyone have any ideas of what needs to be done so the pressure returns to normal on its own? Would it have anything to do with the pressure valve on the side of our house connected to the solar pipes/panels?

Hopefully this can be resolved so I have a restful summer, although it keeps me in shape...lol.

What is the filter pressure;
1) before the solar kicks on?
2) after the solar kicks off but before you "blow" the air out?
3) right after you "blow" the air out?

Do you notice water coming out the relief valve on the solar panels when they shut off? It shouldn't, I'm just thinking of all possibilities.

Does your pump basket get air in it whenever the solar is on?
What about when the solar is off?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.