Finally got a Taylor 2006

Mar 28, 2012
London, ON CDN
Well I just got my kit in the mail from Apollo Pools. My pool has been open for two weeks now and I have been vacuuming and brushing regularly. I also installed a new 24 Hayward sand filter and 300 pounds of sand (nepheline syenite) replacing my old Sta-Rite 20" sand filter. I have been running the filter 8hrs a day between 3pm and 11pm.

Here are my numbers

FC 2.5
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 110
CH 80
CA <30

I was using a Taylor 1004 kit to maintain a FC level around 2-4 ppm because the waster was clear and I had no idea what my CA level was. What I find strange is that I have been using the pool calculator to add 10% liquid chlorine every other day which works out to about 1.5 liters per dose. I have no CC and it seems like I don't really have to add that much liquid every other day. Is this normal even with such a low CA reading? The pool seems to be holding the FC level without any trouble. Do I need to even add any CA? The water on the CA test is cloudy but I reach the top of the test tube and can still see the dot which is why I am guessing it is around 10ppm or less.

By the way the water is 21C and the pool is in full sun from 10am-7pm.

Brad

If you want to measure down to 10 ppm CYA you can use half CYA Standard Solution (3.5 mL) diluted with half pool water (3.5 mL) and proceed with the test as usual, adding 7 ml R-0013, mixing for 30 seconds etc. With this variation, if you read 30 ppm CYA on the comparator bloc then there's 10 ppm CYA in the pool water.

View Tube...Actual CYA

Thanks for the replies and info guys. Even though my pool has a liner should I increase the CH closer to 200ppm. I am going by what the Taylor handbook suggests, between 200-400ppm. 200ppm would balance my water and bring it coser to 0.0 on the Saturation Index on the Watergram?

NWCanuck said:
Thanks for the replies and info guys. Even though my pool has a liner should I increase the CH closer to 200ppm. I am going by what the Taylor handbook suggests, between 200-400ppm. 200ppm would balance my water and bring it coser to 0.0 on the Saturation Index on the Watergram?
I would waste your money/time on it. It really does nothing for your vinyl pool.

Last year we had a lot of rain and my CH level got down to 50 ppm and I noticed that the liner got slippery. Adjusting the CH level up to 140 ppm brought the tackiness right back (it was apparent that afternoon). I can't say if CH level affects the life of the liner, but in my limited experience it seems to change how the liner feels under foot.

I also installed a new 24 Hayward sand filter and 300 pounds of sand (nepheline syenite) replacing my old Sta-Rite 20" sand filter. I have been running the filter 8hrs a day between 3pm and 11pm.

Brad

Good day.... After a few years of use are you happy with the performance of the (nepheline syenite) sand in the Hayward filter? Thnxs

PS.... I just purchased (nepheline syenite) from our local pool shop and will be installing it in our S244T Filter soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.