3/8 LQ UPGRADE QUESTION

May 13, 2012
I am definitely going to want to do the 3/8 upgrade. Planning on picking up the 3/8 Speed-Fit x 1/4 NPT fittings at Lowe's or HD. I am under the assumption that the stock hose that cam with the LQ pushes into the Speed Fit? I am familiar with the Shark Bite type fittings for rigid pipe (pex, cpvc, copper, etc) but didn't know that they lock on to vinyl tubing as well? I am thinking that just one of those fittings on my pump basket drain will fix the low flow issue because the larger fitting allows greater suction? Even though the hose still has 1/4" flow meter, checkvalve etc?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

The hose that comes with the LQ really isn't soft tubing it's kinda rigid and the speed-fit fittings will hold it fine. The only other thing you need to upgrade is the check valve. The ones that come with the LQ have a high cracking pressure and that's part of the problem. I went with SMC 3/8" low cracking pressure valves from US Plastic. They also have a Speed-Fit check valve that cracks at .3psi which should work well.

Awesome, thanks! Yeah unfortunately I will have to order the check valve. I'm hoping that the 3/8 x 1/4 speed fit I got for the pump plus the 3/8 flow control valve I got will let me get the ball to be able to max out. The stock set up won't allow me more than about 3, and that's pushing it. As far as the hose goes for the supply side, I wonder if anyone has installed a tee into the pressure gauge threads. Then screw the speed fit into one side, and the pump pressure gauge into the other. Also, I noticed that Lowe's had Watts branded tubing that looked to be to be about the same wall thickness as the stock tubing. And do you think connecting to the basket strainer drain will provide more suction than tapping out the hole where the stock connection is? I am using a 1.5 HP single speed Hayward pump.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Teeing off the pressure port is fine. Anywhere you can get enough flow to keep the LQ full. And that doesn't take much.
I got better flow tapping the suction line to the pump than I could get at the basket drain plug. But your pump may be different.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.