Accent Tiles. Like 'em or Leave 'em?

My pool plans call for accent tiles of a contrasting color on our steps/benches/tanning ledge. What is everyone's opinion on them? I'd love to see some photos!! While I think it would be nice to delineate the edges, I kind of like the uniform look of not having them. What's everyone else think?

Inground, Shotcrete pool,
CL KrystalKrete finish,
19,000 gallons,
Pentair equipment.

For those of us with less than perfect eyesight, and for those times when the sun or shadows conspire to hide those step edges, the contrasting tile insets are really nice. It does not take too many, but really does make a difference. They look nice, and increase safety at the same time. I do not have any pictures. My pool does not have them, but I wish it did. My parent's pool has them.

We have accent tiles. The pebble plaster color and the tile blend really nicely together in shades of gray/blue/tan so they don't stand out a whole lot but just enough to dilineate the height changes. I would definitely recommend doing them in your pool.

My wife wanted them bad. The pb tried to talk her out of them. She ended up calling pebbletec who made the ones we were looking at and if you can believe this, they talked her out of them too!!! Even though the installer was a certified pt installer no one wanted to do them or sell them for that matter...we ended up leaving them out. But they are pretty.

I put a dozen 8x8 tiles set in a pattern on my tanning ledge and seating bench. My pebbletech is pearl white and the tiles are a light blue, not a lot of contrast, just enough. I didn't bother with my steps. The single step down onto the tanning ledge is quite visible as its only down a few inches and there is just one other step and it's cut into the tanning ledge surface.

I don't think I would like small tiles but these set on a diagonal 18 inches apart looks good. I set the tiles my self after my shotcrete was finished before the pebbletech crew showed up.

f830eba8.jpg

3c0072f9.jpg

ab08f064.jpg

bobodaclown said:
What did you paint/stain your deck with?
It's an acrylic surface. Similar to Kooldeck but not porous, stain resistant and very easy to recoat.

First they put down a texture.
2feab6b9.jpg

It looks like this.
cc99d466.jpg

Then the final color coat.
bd6c7135.jpg

chiefwej said:
I put a dozen 8x8 tiles set in a pattern on my tanning ledge and seating bench. My pebbletech is pearl white and the tiles are a light blue, not a lot of contrast, just enough. I didn't bother with my steps. The single step down onto the tanning ledge is quite visible as its only down a few inches and there is just one other step and it's cut into the tanning ledge surface.
I like your choice of waterline tile & pebbletec color. Very classy.

Pebbletec is pearl white and the waterline tile was selected to match the calcium buildup that shows up here so quickly. Fortunately once I learned how to keep my water in perfect balance here at TFP that's not as much of an issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
chiefwej said:
Pebbletec is pearl white and the waterline tile was selected to match the calcium buildup that shows up here so quickly. Fortunately once I learned how to keep my water in perfect balance here at TFP that's not as much of an issue.
Well, I understand the practical decision, but I like the white on white. Very clean looking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.