Pool Light Re-Installation

Jul 11, 2008
Flintstone, GA USA
I had a so called pool contractor remodel my pool. He took my SwimQuip light out of my pool which is 110 volt unit.
He never finished the job and now I have just the empty niche where the light was.

I can install the new one, but I need to know if I can just fish the light cord back through the conduit that goes to the niche. Is there
anything else that needs to be done. I know the niche is filled with water. Does the pool have to be drained down below
the niche, let it dry out and then reinstall the wiring and light and then refill the pool.

My concern is the water around the light. I ordered a new light unit and it is perfectly sealed so the water can not get
to the inside of the light.

Is water suppose to be inside the niche?

Thanks

Tom

Thank you so much. That is what I needed to know.
I thought so because I read on how to install a bulb which is how you said. You have to pull it out and take it to the pool deck so if water was not already in the nich then it surely would get in there when you install a new bulb.

I have a ground fault breaker on the light of course for protection.

Thanks again, now I will get busy and get it installed.

Tom

Yeah, if you have the original cord still in the niche, it's a pretty simple matter to install a new light. What I do is get conduit nylon cord from HD, tie and tape this around the existing cord at the niche end, and then pull it back up at the pool light junction box. Then, you use the same method with the conduit cord taped up around the new cord, and then pull on the nylon cord at the niche to pull it through. If you need, you can get some conduit liquid wax to rub on the new cord to make the pull easier. Also, it really helps to have someone on the opposite side to feed the cord.

If the cord from the old light is not there, it can be possible to just push the cord from the niche end through the empty light niche conduit. This can work if the light junction box is reasonably close to the niche (e.g. 15-20 feet) and the new fixture's cord is beefy. If not, you may need to get a fish tape from the hardware store, and then use this to pull the nylon cord through.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.