My test results are wacky!! Help!!

May 19, 2011
Hardy, Virginia
I opened my pool a week ago and added all the chemicals according to the BBB method. Here's my test results from yesterday.

FC - 25!!
TA - 200!!
PH - 7.6
CH - 200
CYA - 45
Salt - didn't test
Borates - didn't test
Temp - 68 degrees

I used the Pool Calculator to figure out my chemicals. I added 2 pounds of shock, 1 1/2 boxes washing soda, and a little more stabilizer. I have not added chemicals in 4 days. Why is my TA so high? Why is my FC so high? My water is cloudy. I don't think I have an algae bloom (the water was crystal clear before I added the chemicals). Anyone have any ideas??

Anyone have any ideas??
Yes. This may sound a little harsh....don't take it that way. The Pool Calculator will not fix your pool. YOU have to do that.

Armed with the knowledge of your pool's current condition (test results), then you use the pool calculator to get precise dosages to fix what needs to be fixed. That's all it's good for. You must spend time up in Pool School to learn why you add different chemicals and when you need to add them, The Pool Calculator will only tell you how much to add.

If your water was crystal clear, you probably didn't need to add the chemistry. Did you take tests before you added the chemistry and, if so, do you remember what they were?

PS - There's nothing particularly "wacky" about your test results....let's figure out what you have put in the pool to make the water cloudy. A pic of the pool water might help.

EDIT: Only post the info once. I deleted your other post. Keep all future posts in this thread.

I tested before I added anything. Here's the results from before adding the chemicals.

FC - 0
TA - 30
ph - 7.0
CH - 200
CYA - 25

I can't provide a picture until this evening - I'm at work right now. The water's not terribly cloudy as I can still see the bottom, but it definitely has a haze to it if that makes sense. I should've mentioned also that right after I added the chemicals I put the solar cover on the pool for 2 days. Thanks so much for your assistance. This is only my second season as a pool owner and I'm still learning. I read over Pool School and it's very helpful - unfortunately it just can't save me from myself!!

What is the volume of your pool? Is it a round pool 15 feet in diameter by 30 inches deep? Or is it 15 feet wide by 30 feet long?

If the shock you added is calcium hypochlorite, it can cause your pool to be cloudy. One time I used some cheap cal hypo and it made my pool cloudy for a couple of days until the filter cleaned up the water.

unfortunately it just can't save me from myself!!
Not to worry. Every one of us on this forum started from exactly the same spot....knowing nothing about pools. The learning task seems daunting at first but keep asking questions and keep reading pool school (especially the ABC's of Pool water chemistry) and we'll all help you get your pool crystal clear.

As faby3003 suggests, I suspect that cloudiness came from the "shock" you added and it is temporary. There is nothing in your test results that indicates any kind of emergency so we'll go slow and fix your issues one at a time....even this weekend when you are around more.

It looks like all we need to do is let the filter (run your [pump 24/7) filter out that cloudiness and let the FC come on down on it's own (it will) and you'll be good to go.

I forgot earlier....Welcome to the forum. :lol:

My pool is 15 feet wide by 30 feet long and 4.5 feet deep, oval above ground. The shock I used is calcium hypo - so I guess that's it. Is there a better kind to use? Thanks for the welcome!! One more question...with a TA of 200 should I use muriatic acid to lower my ph and then aerate?

Using liquid chlorine or bleach is the best way to shock you pool. Most people on the forum use unscented bleach (6% hypochlorite). You can get this at a good price at places like Walmart, Costco, etc...

Using liquid chlorine or bleach doesn't have any of the side effects that other forms of chlorine do (cal hypo adds calcium, dichlor and trichlor raise your CYA).

As far as reducing your TA, I recommend checking your pH daily, and when it rises to 7.8 add acid to lower your pH to 7.2. Keep repeating until your TA is in the recommended range (70-90 ppm). Once your TA gets to the recommended range, your pH should stabilize and not rise as quickly as it does when your TA is higher. If you have an easy way to aerate your pool, that will make the process go faster, but its not necessary as long as you keep your pH in the recommended range.

Kirsten,

Ignore your TA for right now. After your pool is crystal clear and everything else is in line, you can work on it. Additionally, it will change somewhat favorably between now and then on it's own.

Ok. I am now a full 7 days out from adding cal hypo to shock my pool. I have not added anymore "shock", just plain old liquid bleach to keep my chlorine level at 4. My pool is still cloudy. I bought dry acid yesterday to get the ph and ta down - it made the water even worse!!!! I have no clue at this point what's going on. Here's my test results from last night, and again this morning. Oh, my calcium hardness took a nose dive too, and I have no idea why. We have a problem with our top valve sticking, and if we backwash the pool it will still leak out a little after we turn it back to the regular setting - maybe it leaked out?? I don't know. What I do know is that my water was crystal clear when I took the cover off, I added chemicals and now it looks awful.

5/20/12 5/21/12
FC 3 FC 4 (added bleach)
ph 8 ph 7.8 (added dry acid)
TA 200 TA 180
CH 40 CH 40
CYA 45 CYA 45

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It could be that it is taking a while for the filter to clean up the pool. How often have you been backwashing your filter? What is your filter pressure immediately after backwashing? How high do you let your filter pressure get before you backwash? How strong is the water flow out of your returns?

Or it could be that you have algae in your pool. What has your FC level been over that last few days? How much bleach have you been adding per day? Have you performed the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT)? http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test

We had to buy a new pressure gauge and just installed that last night, so I have no idea about the pressure just yet. I have been backwashing every 2 days, when I notice the return is getting sluggish. After backwashing the water flow out of the return is very strong. FC was 25 after shocking, and slowly came down to between 3 and 4. I added 16 oz. clorox this morning to maintain it and that's the first time I've put bleach in it since last monday when I shocked it...the FC levels stayed pretty high, I think because I added stabilizer at the same time. I have not yet done an overnight test, but I will tonight. Do you really think it could be algae? The pool was crystal clear and beautiful until I messed up with the chemicals.

Yes, passing the OCLT indicates that you don't have algae (or at least large amounts of algae). For your CYA level, make sure the FC is always above 4.0. After daily testing you should add enough bleach to raise your FC to about 7.0, that way your FC should always stay above 4.0.

It sounds like when you backwash your filter, some of the backwash water makes it into the pool? That could definitely be an issue. You could also try adding DE to your sand filter http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter

Ok, I'll try that. I'll also make sure I keep my FC up. If, and only if, this cloudiness was caused by the washing soda or stabilizer, is there a way to fix it? I'm currently trying to lower the ph and will aerate once I get to 7.0. Once the water is balanced again will the cloudiness go away? I know for high CYA I would have to do a partial drain and refill, but my level is good.

Nothing about your water chemistry indicates that your water should be cloudy. I think there is just some sort of impurity from the Cal Hypo shock that needs to be filtered out of the water.

Also, bringing your FC up to shock level and holding it there until the water clears would be a safe bet in case this is algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.