Submersible Pump for Watering Lawn

Sep 3, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Anyone here use a submersible pump in their pool for watering their lawn? Given that I occasionally drain some water out of my pool a few times each year I was wondering about watering the lawn and vegetation with it instead of just draining all in one spot. I have a sump pump that I use as my homemade aerator but when I tried fitting to a garden hose it only produced enough pressure to drive the sprinkler a few feet high. So I'm assuming there is a different kind of pump needed.
Not a big deal but would sure be nice to use pool water in these cases instead of paying a higher water bill to water the lawn AND refill the pool.

I don't use a sprinkler, I just lay the hose on the lawn and let it flood and move it every so often.

I've also stopped using the submersible. For whatever reason, there's a hose fitting on my return line, so I just tap onto that to drain and water at the same time.

I tried the submersible pump last year when I was trying to make a homemade solar unit work but lo and behold the pump broke internally and I had an Exxon Valdeze(sp) in my pool. The pump's motor used oil internally to lube the parts and when it broke the oil leaked out. I then tried a lawn pump that I had to use pvc pipe from the pump to the pool and it works great and no worries because the pump sits on the ground and not in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.