New Pool, Pool Frog Chlorinator

May 18, 2012
Birmingham, Alabama
Hello all, I am getting a pool installed this Saturday. It is an above ground 24' pool. Included in the package is a Pool Frog chlorinator. I have no experience with balancing water at all, or with pools in general. So I have ALOT of questions. Please help as I am getting the pool in a short time. Thank you.

1. How would I start up the pool once it's filled and completely unbalanced? Should I run the pump 24/7 to begin with?

2. Is running the Pool Frog alone enough to sanitize and keep algae at bay? Or would you recommend an algaecide?

3. How often should I test water clarity?

4. I've heard algaecides stain. Is this true? (the pool frog brand claims to use only 3% copper which they say doesn't stain)

Get rid of the frog and never put copper in your pool. Stick with liquid chlorine to avoid potential problems in the future.

Read through Pool School (upper right) a few times to start learning about your new pool and the chemicals involved.

Also a good test kit will be the best investment you can make for yourself.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Jason gave good advice but I'll expound a little.

If you don't have the choice of refusing the Pool Frog and getting a refund or store credit, you can leave it installed but don't let them put the mineral reservior or bac pac in it. The best thing to do is have them leave it in the box and try and sell it.

1) As Jason said, you need a good test kit. It's the best investment you can make for your pool. The first thing to do is test the fill water for pH, TA, CH and FC (if it's chlorinated water). Then you need to add some chlorine in the pool as soon as you can run the pump. You'll also need some CYA (conditioner, stabilizer, Cyanuric Acid). Enough to get you to about 40 ppm. (a little over 4 lbs).

2) You don't need to use algaecide or the Pool Frog. Stock up on some plain bleach/liquid chlorine and use that.

3) You should test the water at least once a day to begin with and once you've learned the personality of your pool, you can switch to every other day.

4) You heard correctly! The Pool Frog will cause staining regardless of what their literature says. Besides, you have to keep chlorine in there and if you keep it at the level recommended here you don't need to add copper or any other algaecides to the pool.

You'll do yourself a favor by reading as much of Pool School as you can digest. Especially the parts about starting out.

Thanks guys for the educated and prompt replies. I'm fortunate to have you guys to help me on the subject. I have a few more questions if you don't mind.

1. Is using powdered shock okay? Or should I strictly use bleach

2. When I test the fill water for the first time, if everything is completely out of whack, just add bleach/shock and stabilizer? Or should I stock up on PH up/down, etc.

3. Upon first filtering, is backwashing often necessary?

Don't use the frog. It will probably work for a season, but next year, look out! Unless you like green water and green hair.

Start with Pool School This article says temporary pools, but it's the same process. Just follow it.

You can do yourself the biggest favor by ordering up a proper test kit from http://tftestkits.net. I advise the XL version because you'll be using a lot of reagents initially, just playing junior scientist. We've all done it. :-D And get a speedstir. You won't regret it, and it cuts down on shipping to get it all at once.

The powdered shock either has CYA or CH on it. Both of which can cause problems if they get too high. In limited use they can be ok, but you have to be careful.

Test the water before speculating what you need. For example I have never had to raise pH so that would be a wasted purchase. Your pool may be different. You WILL need CYA and chlorine ... so those could be bought. Use the poolcalculator to estimate how much you will need.

Your water should be clean to start so early backwashing is unlikely. We recommend cleaning the filter when the pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.