HELP i'm in a complete mess and don't know which way to turn

Re: HELP i'm in a complete mess and don't know which way to

Oh, I forgot to mention - now is a good moment for some quality time with your pool brush :) Scrub scrub scrub.

Scrub down the walls, Get a handheld brush and hit all the nooks and crevices. Inside the skimmer, around any ladders, get everything. Leebo mentioned during my conversion to use a 5 Gallon bucket and a cup of Bleach - it's a higher concentration than needed, but what they hey :)

Scrub all the pool toys, removable ladders etc to get the baqua and crud off, that way when you have your CC's down and you put the stuff in the pool, you're adding clean to clean.

Oh thank you so much radefeld!!!!!!!

Scrubbed the sides yesterday and brownish yuk came off. Of course it is hard to know if i'm getting it all cause i can't see anything lol.

Will do that again today though. My skimmer basket is clean. I really don't think i had enough bacquayuk in there to begin with. I think the algae that i had ate it all up. When i tested for bacqua using the strips, it said i had nada prior to starting this.

Who knows. But, yeah. I'll keep backwashing, scrubbing and testing and adding. THIS is now my life, at least for the next few days!!!

Excellent! See, one step ahead! The clearer it gets, the more thorough you can be - for now you're doing perfect just scrubbing to get the junk detached and in the chlorine bath of death!! The more you get off, the better it can be killed, skimmed and filtered out and the faster the conversion goes.

If you saw my pictures, I was pretty proud of myself for the thorough brushing job - then my pool cleared up and I realized how much I hadn't hit - darn cloudy water makes it hard to see and it was very apparent where I missed!

I need to look at your thread. How do i find it? I've seen a couple that peeps put the link in here in this thread. Not sure if you were one of those or not.

I'll check on that this afternoon. I love to hear other peeps stories.

I'm off to buy more bleach. Went through 16 of the 186 0z jugs since yesterday. I should have bought some stock in this stuff LOL

Will report later....

My thread was here http://www.troublefreepool.com/baqua-bbb-conversion-t42255.html

Here was one of the shots where you could see how i missed spots
Day4_5.jpg

Once things started to clear it went fast - then it was a bit of "Darn, I sure missed a bunch!"

Ohhhhhhhh I DID read your posts!!!!! Those were awesome pics and the video was wonderful!!!!!

Gosh i won't even believe the bottom of my pool when i see it i bet. For one thing it's been over a year since i've seen the bottom. I'm beginning to think it's not really there!!!

It looks like your pool started out pretty clear, and your conversion went pretty fast. I'm thinking as bad as mine is/was it will just take me longer.

I bought a ton more bleach today and had them order me 4 more cases. Putting in over a gallon an hour while awake to keep my FC above 17.

I keep seeing that CYA comment here and there and not really sure when that starts to come into play but i know i'm not ready yet.

Thanks for the kind words, I'm just glad others get some benefit out if it - I've received so much benefit from this site already, I'm happy to have contributed!

Once you see the bottom of your pool, it will be like a long lost friend has come back! The good news is your time is coming... Soon! Mine conversion went pretty quick, and you're 100% right - it takes ALOT of chlorine! I had not opened the pool and my baqua was zero which made it go quicker. If I remember correctly, you had added some baqua to try and clear it up, so it may take a bit to burn that out. The word around here is it took a year to get that way, it won't come clean in a day, but honestly it looks like it's coming around the corner. With the green subsiding, you will start to see the "Cloudiness" go away and the clarity reappear.

One other thing for you to watch is soon you should start to to see a decrease in your bleach usage and you should start on the schedule of adding bleach at about 9-9:30pm, then 10pm or so check the FC and CC levels. Then check again first thing in the morning. If you are starting to lose less and less overnight, it is telling you the bulk of the job is done and the sun is robbing you chlorine you're dumping in (without any CYA in the water, you're losing quite a bit to the sun - it just burns off). At this point, I would recommend you add a dose in the morning (before the sun comes up, then again in the evening when the sun goes down. This will save quite a bit of bleach.

On the CYA - I began adding mine I met the criteria for when you're done shocking:
1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight
2)You have .5ppm CC's or less
3)your water is clear

Then you add it, but we'll cover that bridge when we get there :)

Ok thanks for the words of encouragement!!!! I think i'll have a party when i discover i have a bottom in my pool lol.

OK i'll worry bout cya later.

Just tested..

FC 18
CC 7

It seems like if i keep putting in 186 oz every hour it is staying at shock level. My FC supplies are getting low even though i ordered the xl kit. I hope i can order some more of the FC/CC stuff individually. I'll check out the link in a bit.

It looks like you are making good progress. Is it my imagination or are your CC levels slowly going down? If they are, that is a good sign.

NikiBelle said:
I hope i can order some more of the FC/CC stuff individually. I'll check out the link in a bit.
http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine-CC-s-test-p47.html

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

NikiBelle said:
I think you may be right. I think it started out at 10 and now it is 7. I didn't know they were suppose to go down!!! How cool is that!!!!!
Eventually you will get to step 8 in the baqua conversion process which is:
8. Your conversion is complete when CC's are 0.5 or less two days in a row.
But don't forget step 7:
7. When you lose 1 ppm of chlorine, or less, overnight it is time to clean out your filter and change the media. Once the filter is cleaned up, add enough CYA to reach 30 ppm. Continue to maintain FC at 15 ppm.

NikiBelle said:
Ok i i hear you buy CYA at a pool store, right? I am guessing my pool will be clear by the time i do step 7 and 8, right?
I think that it is typical for baqua converted pools to be clear by then (though I only get to live through the pics that you and others have posted). While you are buying stuff, don't forget new sand for the filter...this is about the only time we recommend changing sand in a sand filter. You can get cya at some hardware stores, home improvement stores, and walmart in addition to pool stores. As for sand, I got mine at a home improvement store...it was labeled as pool sand.

Oh ok thanks!!!! Ordered more FC and CC for my kit. I just brushed the ladder and the bottom of the pool...some brown yuk came up. Went around again and the second time none came ....so i guess it's all in the middle where it will most likely settle.

Still putting in about 186 oz of bleach per hour. No change in pool color since this morning...

I'm a walking talking bleach woman. Yes i am. LOL

NewPoolOwner12 said:
NikiBelle said:
I'm a walking talking bleach woman. Yes i am. LOL

Bet ya smell purdy too :p

LOL you know it!!!! At least i smell cleannnnnnnnnnnnnn. Oh and i now have a perfectly great pair of "bleach shorts" :|

Latest readings....

FC 18.5
CC 5

Question....i know the CC going down is good. But, why????? Always helps to know so i can get all excited and stuff.

Edit: I looked in pool school thread and saw the CC explanation. Funny how that works huh. So, if i am reading it correctly...since my CC is falling, my FC isn't having to work as hard killing my algae so my algae is actually leaving????

CC are the byproducts of something breaking down. The FC and the sun will then break down the CC ... the goal is a CC of 0.

I am sure you can find more technical details in The Deep End if you really care ;)

Thanks JBlizzle. No thanks about jumping in the deep end. *whispers ...i can't swim but don't tell anyone. My pool is just 4.5 feet deep

So, just to compare....

This was yesterday

100_1345.jpg

This was this morning

100_1376.jpg

This was just now...it appears to maybe be getting bluish? From green to white to blue? Still just as cloudy, but the color is prettier!!!!

100_1378.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.