HELP i'm in a complete mess and don't know which way to turn

Re: HELP i'm in a complete mess and don't know which way to

They look good, 18.5 ppm FC is fine, just keep it above 15 ppm FC. Are you checking your filter pressure to know when to backwash? When your pressure goes up 25% from the "clean" filter pressure, then backwash.

Checked it and yes it is 0 when off. I went ahead and backwashed. It looks like the pressure went down from 15 to around 11. Is that ok?

rechecked my levels...

7:00pm

FC 11.5
CC 6

Adding more good ole bleach right now. And more water. My water level is down a little bit.

The pressure drop just shows that it was dirty. Now that you know your clean pressure is 11psi, you should backwash when it goes up by 20-25% of the clean pressure. So, you should really be backwashing at 14psi in the future to maintain good circulation.

Ok wonderful!!!! I love when i have exacts for my situation!!! Everyone's is different but i get all fuzzled when i don't know exactly what to do.

Like i said before, I've never ever took care of a pool before, so all of this is way greek. I love it when i feel like i'm making head way.

Pool is still same on looks. Is that normal? I'm guessing as green as it was it may take a few days to clear?

I have new batteries for my camera and am ready to take pics when there is a change.

Sand filters are the slowest to clear the water ... they will do it, but takes longer.

Also since your filter may have been pretty dirty, the flow rate may have been slower and thus not filtering as much water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Ok cool. Thanks. The return seems to be really churning and going faster. So, yeah the pressure gauge i will watch closely to backwash when needed.

So thankful for this site and ya'll. Really you have no idea.

Oh and one more question...hhahha like this will be the last.

Before i go to bed should i add like extra to get through the night? Even though i know it won't last all night at least it will give it a boost?

Right now my FC is 24

So, i thought i would wait just a little while, give it a big ole 186oz to get it through the night and check in am.

Hope I'm thinking correctly....

Sounds like your on the right track, I will stress the importance of taking lots of photos along the way - as I was doing my conversion, it's amazing how it changes so slightly from morning to night and in looking back at the photos you can really see the distance you've come!

To answer your question, at the very beginning of the conversion, I was bumping my FC up a bit higher before i retired for the night. Like many of the fine folks on this board will tell you, the more constant you can be the better, but life always gets in the way, so if you can make the first week a week of later nights, then bump the FC levels you should be good.

Can't wait to see more photos!

Thank you radefeld. I think i'll put in one more dose before bedtime.

I promise that my pool color has not changed any at all since my last pic. I have my camera and new batteries all ready for any change at all. Not sure what the AM will bring.

*crosses fingers

Good morning...

Here are some pics this morning. Green is getting less and less but still so cloudy. None of the cloudy is getting better. Patience, i know lol.

100_1376.jpg

100_1375.jpg

You're right on - Patience :)

It will take a couple days to a week, but it gradually starts to turn less green and more blue. From the looks of it, you are out of the green phase and it should start to lighten over the next couple days - maybe by Thursday or Friday it will be clearer, and by Saturday you should have quite a bit of clarity. Just stay consistant with the FC and you should be looking a a sparkling clear pool in no time!

ok cool. It is fun to compare the two pics.

This is when we started yesterday afternoon:

100_1372.jpg

This is now....

100_1375-1.jpg

So yeah there is a huge diff!!! Thanks for the encouragement!!!

I know i read don't worry bout the pH but i used one of those strips i had purchased from the pool store and it shows my pH as low. could that be keeping my pool cloudy? Just wondered.

Thanks again for all this wonderful support. It means the world to me.

When i got up this morning i just went ahead and put in another jug of bleach.

45 minutes later...these were my numbers...

FC 12
CC 10

Added another jug just now.

About the PH - you're correct to forget about PH during the conversion. From what others have said, the PH numbers will be off in levels of high FC (Someone please correct me if this is inaccurate). The only thing you need to focus on is the FC and CC -which from the last numbers you posted it's busy chewing up the baquagunk. Like I mentioned earlier, it's amazing to compare photos from day to day, and watching it turn from pea soup green to sparkling blue little by little you sometimes miss the gravity of the changes!

You're on the right track - the results are right in line with what I experienced, just watch your filter pressure, and if you get a moment, take a look at the skimmer basket :) Most of the time it turns to a nasty mess. If you see the same thing, snap a shot for us! My wife was floored when she saw the skimmer during our conversion and didn't ever want to go swimming again... that is until she saw the finished product!

Keep doing what you're doing, you're a textbook example of how to do it right!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.