Opening Pool

Jul 17, 2011
Canton, MI
Is there any harm in filling my pool with the winter cover on if I won't be able to take the cover off until next week? I know algae won't grow since the cover is blocking the sun, but will the water stain the walls of the pool since it's not being circulated? Thanks for your help!

Why do you want to do it now?

Has your fill water given you problems with staining in the past, i.e. is it high in metals such as iron?

beechjetdriver said:
I know algae won't grow since the cover is blocking the sun
That may not be a safe assumption. As I understand it, a small amount of light is needed for algae growth, but it does not take much for some species such as mustard algae. The weave on some opaque covers let in just a little light.

linen said:
Why do you want to do it now?

Has your fill water given you problems with staining in the past, i.e. is it high in metals such as iron?

beechjetdriver said:
I know algae won't grow since the cover is blocking the sun
That may not be a safe assumption. As I understand it, a small amount of light is needed for algae growth, but it does not take much for some species such as mustard algae. The weave on some opaque covers let in just a little light.

My fill water hasn't given me issues. I leave it half filled during the winter, but I do add an enzyme killer that also helps staining at the top of the water level. My winter cover is not opaque (it's not see through at all) and the water is still pretty cold, so I'm guessing algae formation is highly unlikely. I'd like to fill it now because I want to open the pool next weekend but won't have time to do everything required to open. I'm just trying to knock out as many steps as I can before next weekend.

beechjetdriver said:
My fill water hasn't given me issues.
Why have you done an ascorbic acid treatment in the past? How did that iron get into the pool?

beechjetdriver said:
I leave it half filled during the winter, but I do add an enzyme killer that also helps staining at the top of the water level.
Do you know what the staining is from?

beechjetdriver said:
(it's not see through at all)
That is opaque:
opaque
[oh-peyk] ? Origin
o·paque
? ?[oh-peyk] Show IPA adjective, noun, verb, o·paqued, o·paqu·ing.
adjective
not transparent or translucent; impenetrable to light; not allowing light to pass through.

I have seen algae in pools with covers that "are not see through at all" when the cover came off.

beechjetdriver said:
I'd like to fill it now because I want to open the pool next weekend but won't have time to do everything required to open. I'm just trying to knock out as many steps as I can before next weekend.
I think you could fill it now, but it seems you had quite a bit of trouble last season. We would like to see you avoid it this year, so post a set of test results when you take them.

One other thing, I would suggest dosing with chlorine (bleach) as soon as the cover comes off, it seems many people get into trouble by removing the cover then waiting a day or two before adding any chlorine. Regardless if the water looks clear or not, I would say start with a gallon of bleach as soon as the cover comes off, then once you have it off and have been circulating the water for an hour or so test and dose from there.

linen said:
beechjetdriver said:
My fill water hasn't given me issues.
Why have you done an ascorbic acid treatment in the past? How did that iron get into the pool?

beechjetdriver said:
I leave it half filled during the winter, but I do add an enzyme killer that also helps staining at the top of the water level.
Do you know what the staining is from?

beechjetdriver said:
(it's not see through at all)
That is opaque:
opaque
[oh-peyk] ? Origin
o·paque
? ?[oh-peyk] Show IPA adjective, noun, verb, o·paqued, o·paqu·ing.
adjective
not transparent or translucent; impenetrable to light; not allowing light to pass through.

I have seen algae in pools with covers that "are not see through at all" when the cover came off.

beechjetdriver said:
I'd like to fill it now because I want to open the pool next weekend but won't have time to do everything required to open. I'm just trying to knock out as many steps as I can before next weekend.
I think you could fill it now, but it seems you had quite a bit of trouble last season. We would like to see you avoid it this year, so post a set of test results when you take them.

I think the problems I had last year were from a solar cover that contained algae. Consequently I'm not going to use a solar cover this year. I haven't done an ascorbic acid treatment, although I'm thinking about doing it this year when I open the pool. There are iron stains on the floor of the pool that are more than likely from large PH/FC imbalances/levels from before I had an idea how to operate the pool, combined with iron in the fill water. I don't think the staining would have occurred if I had the water balanced properly when I first operated the pool. There has never been any staining at the water line, and the water has always been crystal clear when I take the winter cover off. Sorry about the opaque comment (shows my stupidity for the day :) Thanks for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.