Running SWG

When all said and done, it will depend on the pool usage and operating conditions of your pool.

In addition to adjusting your FC level, make sure the rest of your water chemistry is balanced, including the stabilizer level for an outdoor pool.

Test your chlorine level now, then again in a few days.
If your chlorine level increased, lower the output setting.
If your chlorine level decreased, increase the output setting.

Continue to test your chlorine level on a regular basis and ensure that your chlorine level is maintained. Especially as temperatures increase (summer) and decrease (winter).

Hope this helps,

Its all about CYA

As a new pool owner, I understand some of your fustrations.

I had a few months where my FC levels were all over the place. The solution I found was to keep a close eye on the CYA levels. I thought my levels were good at 40-50, but I just couldn't keep the FC up....I was running at 80% on the SWG. Then I pushed the CYA up to 70-80 range, and it made all the difference. Now my FC stays at 4-6 easy at 30% output.

So, get a good test kit and keep checking the CYA levels. Also, when you do add CYA, the FC levels will drop like a rock for the next few days. Rather than run the SWG in boost mode, just throw in 1-2 average size jugs of cheap-o generic brand bleach (for a pool around 10-12K gallons). That will get your FC up to the 10+ range and save the life of your SWG.

good luck!

I also did the boric acid/borax additions. The water has a cool shine to it and I think it feels better (not as drying to your skin/hair) when you get out. pH does seem to sit around 7.5-7.8 range much eaiser with the borax [20 mule team] :-D

Re: Its all about CYA

I have my numbers right where they need to be. So you are saying I should be able to maintain perfect numbers with a SGW running at 30%. I had it running high as I was trying to come back from a bad fall and algae nightmare, now all numbers are good and I feel it is time to turn filters off some and lower SWG percentage.

Florida Penguin said:
As a new pool owner, I understand some of your fustrations.

I had a few months where my FC levels were all over the place. The solution I found was to keep a close eye on the CYA levels. I thought my levels were good at 40-50, but I just couldn't keep the FC up....I was running at 80% on the SWG. Then I pushed the CYA up to 70-80 range, and it made all the difference. Now my FC stays at 4-6 easy at 30% output.

So, get a good test kit and keep checking the CYA levels. Also, when you do add CYA, the FC levels will drop like a rock for the next few days. Rather than run the SWG in boost mode, just throw in 1-2 average size jugs of cheap-o generic brand bleach (for a pool around 10-12K gallons). That will get your FC up to the 10+ range and save the life of your SWG.

good luck!

I also did the boric acid/borax additions. The water has a cool shine to it and I think it feels better (not as drying to your skin/hair) when you get out. pH does seem to sit around 7.5-7.8 range much eaiser with the borax [20 mule team] :-D

A few other points...

I knew something wasn't right...my SWG was rated for a 40,00 gal pool, and I only have a 12,000 gallon pool. When I was running at 80% and having trouble keeping up, a few other tips I tried were

1) As above...make sure the CYA level is high
2) Watch your nighttime FC drop....I might of had a smoldering alge problem as my FC would drop 2-2.5 ppm overnight. This was also the time when my CYA was only 30. I got a tip from someone to shock the pool as well just to be sure. I added enough bleach (3 jugs) to get the FC to about 15-20.

Now, my FC only drops by 0.5 to 1 or so overnight.

3) Clean the SWG! At 3 months, my FC went to zero and the computer that controls the SWG (LED light indicators) had the SWG trying to stay in reverse polarity the whole time. I called my builder and he suggested I acid clean the SWG. That did the trick and fixed the problem.

4) Increase the run time. I increased my pump time from 8 hrs a day to 10 hrs a day.

Hope this helps.

Re: A few other points...

Florida Penguin said:
3) Clean the SWG! At 3 months, my FC went to zero and the computer that controls the SWG (LED light indicators) had the SWG trying to stay in reverse polarity the whole time. I called my builder and he suggested I acid clean the SWG. That did the trick and fixed the problem.

Just a little note, don't dip your SWG in acid. ;)
You need to clean the cell, according to manufacturer's instruction manual.

Clean in Dilute acid solution

....I need to clarify....

I did not mean that I cleaned the SWG in full strength muriatic acid.... I used the dilute acid solution per the manufacture's instructions.

Thanks for the clarification. :-D

Re: Its all about CYA

texaspoolnewbie said:
I have my numbers right where they need to be.

This reallyt does not tell us anything about what is ACTUALLY going on in your pool. If you would take a minute to read the sticky on what info to post when asking a question it will help us give you some definative answers instead of just guessing. While you are at it you might want to read the sticky on water balance tips for a SWG. You might find it useful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.