Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Running SWG

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Running SWG

    My Aqua Logic is currently running at 80%. We are still trying to balance our water, get our FC up. When all is said and done with balancing, what should I run the SWG at for maintenance?
    19.k gal Gunite SWG

  2. Back To Top    #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ft Lauderdale, Florida
    Posts
    1,455
    When all said and done, it will depend on the pool usage and operating conditions of your pool.

    In addition to adjusting your FC level, make sure the rest of your water chemistry is balanced, including the stabilizer level for an outdoor pool.

    Test your chlorine level now, then again in a few days.
    If your chlorine level increased, lower the output setting.
    If your chlorine level decreased, increase the output setting.

    Continue to test your chlorine level on a regular basis and ensure that your chlorine level is maintained. Especially as temperatures increase (summer) and decrease (winter).

    Hope this helps,
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Its all about CYA

    As a new pool owner, I understand some of your fustrations.

    I had a few months where my FC levels were all over the place. The solution I found was to keep a close eye on the CYA levels. I thought my levels were good at 40-50, but I just couldn't keep the FC up....I was running at 80% on the SWG. Then I pushed the CYA up to 70-80 range, and it made all the difference. Now my FC stays at 4-6 easy at 30% output.

    So, get a good test kit and keep checking the CYA levels. Also, when you do add CYA, the FC levels will drop like a rock for the next few days. Rather than run the SWG in boost mode, just throw in 1-2 average size jugs of cheap-o generic brand bleach (for a pool around 10-12K gallons). That will get your FC up to the 10+ range and save the life of your SWG.

    good luck!

    I also did the boric acid/borax additions. The water has a cool shine to it and I think it feels better (not as drying to your skin/hair) when you get out. pH does seem to sit around 7.5-7.8 range much eaiser with the borax [20 mule team]
    AquaPure 1400 SWG with Titanium Heat Pump and Automated Jandy Controls w/PDA
    12,000 gal. Pool / Spa Combo since 1/08
    1.5 HP filter pump & 2.0 HP spa jet pump, Great White auto-cleaner
    Sta-Rite Posi Clear 125 Cartridge Filter, TF-100 Test Kit
    Vero Beach, Florida

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Re: Its all about CYA

    I have my numbers right where they need to be. So you are saying I should be able to maintain perfect numbers with a SGW running at 30%. I had it running high as I was trying to come back from a bad fall and algae nightmare, now all numbers are good and I feel it is time to turn filters off some and lower SWG percentage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Florida Penguin
    As a new pool owner, I understand some of your fustrations.

    I had a few months where my FC levels were all over the place. The solution I found was to keep a close eye on the CYA levels. I thought my levels were good at 40-50, but I just couldn't keep the FC up....I was running at 80% on the SWG. Then I pushed the CYA up to 70-80 range, and it made all the difference. Now my FC stays at 4-6 easy at 30% output.

    So, get a good test kit and keep checking the CYA levels. Also, when you do add CYA, the FC levels will drop like a rock for the next few days. Rather than run the SWG in boost mode, just throw in 1-2 average size jugs of cheap-o generic brand bleach (for a pool around 10-12K gallons). That will get your FC up to the 10+ range and save the life of your SWG.

    good luck!

    I also did the boric acid/borax additions. The water has a cool shine to it and I think it feels better (not as drying to your skin/hair) when you get out. pH does seem to sit around 7.5-7.8 range much eaiser with the borax [20 mule team]
    19.k gal Gunite SWG

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ft Lauderdale, Florida
    Posts
    1,455
    Every pool has it's own characteristics (chlorine demand). 30% works for his pool, but may not for your pool. That's why you need to test and adjust until you find the correct setting for YOUR pool.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

  6. Back To Top    #6

    A few other points...

    I knew something wasn't right...my SWG was rated for a 40,00 gal pool, and I only have a 12,000 gallon pool. When I was running at 80% and having trouble keeping up, a few other tips I tried were

    1) As above...make sure the CYA level is high
    2) Watch your nighttime FC drop....I might of had a smoldering alge problem as my FC would drop 2-2.5 ppm overnight. This was also the time when my CYA was only 30. I got a tip from someone to shock the pool as well just to be sure. I added enough bleach (3 jugs) to get the FC to about 15-20.

    Now, my FC only drops by 0.5 to 1 or so overnight.

    3) Clean the SWG! At 3 months, my FC went to zero and the computer that controls the SWG (LED light indicators) had the SWG trying to stay in reverse polarity the whole time. I called my builder and he suggested I acid clean the SWG. That did the trick and fixed the problem.

    4) Increase the run time. I increased my pump time from 8 hrs a day to 10 hrs a day.

    Hope this helps.
    AquaPure 1400 SWG with Titanium Heat Pump and Automated Jandy Controls w/PDA
    12,000 gal. Pool / Spa Combo since 1/08
    1.5 HP filter pump & 2.0 HP spa jet pump, Great White auto-cleaner
    Sta-Rite Posi Clear 125 Cartridge Filter, TF-100 Test Kit
    Vero Beach, Florida

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    874

    Re: A few other points...

    Quote Originally Posted by Florida Penguin

    3) Clean the SWG! At 3 months, my FC went to zero and the computer that controls the SWG (LED light indicators) had the SWG trying to stay in reverse polarity the whole time. I called my builder and he suggested I acid clean the SWG. That did the trick and fixed the problem.
    .
    Just a little note, don't dip your SWG in acid.
    You need to clean the cell, according to manufacturer's instruction manual.

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Clean in Dilute acid solution

    ....I need to clarify....

    I did not mean that I cleaned the SWG in full strength muriatic acid.... I used the dilute acid solution per the manufacture's instructions.

    Thanks for the clarification.
    AquaPure 1400 SWG with Titanium Heat Pump and Automated Jandy Controls w/PDA
    12,000 gal. Pool / Spa Combo since 1/08
    1.5 HP filter pump & 2.0 HP spa jet pump, Great White auto-cleaner
    Sta-Rite Posi Clear 125 Cartridge Filter, TF-100 Test Kit
    Vero Beach, Florida

  9. Back To Top    #9
    Guest

    Re: Its all about CYA

    Quote Originally Posted by texaspoolnewbie
    I have my numbers right where they need to be.
    This reallyt does not tell us anything about what is ACTUALLY going on in your pool. If you would take a minute to read the sticky on what info to post when asking a question it will help us give you some definative answers instead of just guessing. While you are at it you might want to read the sticky on water balance tips for a SWG. You might find it useful.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •