Miami, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
My Pentair 2.2hp pump made a loud, screechy noise yesterday, and it appears to have stopped working properly. It comes on, makes a high pitch spin noise, but I dont see water pumping into the filter basket. This pump, model MPEA6G-155L is from 2001 I believe. I've wanted to change to a more efficient and quieter one, and perhaps this is my chance.

OPtions:
1) Replace motor? I've read it can cost as much as a new pump altogether.
2) Get new pump
A) Do i need to stay with 2HP? I have 18k gallon inground pool. My existing piping into and out of the pump is 2", so does that dictate what
pump I get? Or I can get a smaller pump and get newer, smaller piping, right?
B) Which brand? I guess a matter of choice and budget. I would like to stay in the $500-600 range.
C) Variable speed? Perhaps too pricey since most are over $1k.

At the end of the day, I'm looking for an efficient, quiet pump in the $600 range.

Thank you

1) yes, you can replace motor..but that can still be expensive and your pump MIGHT still have issues. One benefit of changing JUST the motor is..plumbing from the wet end stays in tact.
2A) No you dont have to stay with 2hp. Before we can decide what pump is best...do you have any other water features? A 2-speed will be more efficient than a single speed pump.
2B) Brand is up to you. There are many good pumps on the market. I see that you list your pump as 'pentair' in the post, but 'hayward' in your signature...which brand is it?
2C) VS will be most efficient, but the added upfront cost might not be worth it if you electricity rates are already low. What do you pay for electricity?

Do you have anything in your setup requiring high water flow? spa? deck jets? waterfall? pressure cleaner? etc? ... those are the things the really dictate your required pump size.

1) If you got a smaller motor, you would also need to get a smaller impeller. But, you would not have to change any plumbing.
2) You may have to change the plumbing near the pump, but then you have a new pump
A) 2HP seems big unless you left something our of your setup. There is not need to make the plumbing smaller for a smaller HP pump.
B) Personal choice ... Hayward and Pentair seem to be the big 2
C) Variable can save you electricity cost, but generally only worth it if you have high electricity costs

A smaller 1HP 2-speed might be a good choice ... Pentair Whisperflo could be a good option or a Superflo is slightly smaller.

Is your current pump 120V or 240V? It is easier to replace if you stick with the same.

My existing pump is Pentair, not Hayward.
The pool has a small water feature with 3 outlets of water, and a corner area has "spa jets". I am not too concerned about the spa jets since I will never use them because it is not a spa. It is a step/seat inside a cold water pool with jets and bubbles---that is not a spa, but the previous owner apparently thought so. I would like to keep the option of running the water feature from time to time.
Having said this, would 1.5 perhaps be sufficient?

Current pump is 240v, and electric cost is around .08 per kwh.

Forgot to mention that I have a Hayward cartridge filter attached to the pump. Huge, tall silo.

Your electrical costs will likely not make the variable speed worth it.

I would think a Whisperflo 1HP Full rated 2-speed (WFDS-4 or WFDS-26) would be a good choice for you as it is a 240V motor. The Whisperflo pumps are very efficient at moving a lot of water. The only catch is that you would have to add a way to control the 2-speeds ... either a manual switch that you could flip to change speed when needed (leave it on low for day to day) or a timer that adds the ability to automatically switch speeds.

You may be able to get by with an even smaller pump, but the 3/4HP Whisperflo is 120V. Or the Superflo 1HP could work, but it moves less water ... although at a lower electrical cost.

jblizzle said:
I would think a Whisperflo 1HP Full rated 2-speed (WFDS-4 or WFDS-26) would be a good choice for you as it is a 240V motor.
Jason, I am looking at the owners manual for the WFDS-4 and it lists the pump at 115/230v ...Am I looking at the right thing?

Attachments

• WhisperFlo OM.png
    WhisperFlo OM.png
    111.3 KB · Views: 125
I'm pretty sure that the 2-speed is 220V only, or at least my replacement motor was only 220V.

blakej said:
jblizzle said:
I would think a Whisperflo 1HP Full rated 2-speed (WFDS-4 or WFDS-26) would be a good choice for you as it is a 240V motor.
Jason, I am looking at the owners manual for the WFDS-4 and it lists the pump at 115/230v ...Am I looking at the right thing?

what do you guys think of the Hayward Super pump? I have an installer coming (hopefully) in 4 hours.
It look ssturdy, robust, and hopefully quiet. It will certainly be an improvement over my 2001 starite which no longer works. I just wonder if the super pump is a nice generic, mass-produced, workhorse (like bacardi rum, or cuervo tequila....:)

thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.