Borax math done.

May 13, 2012
So for my 13500 gal AGP I need 794 oz of Borax and 378 oz muriatic acid. This will bring me from 0 to 50 ppm borates. One box of Borax is 76 oz. 76/794 = 0.0957178. So multiplying my total Muriatic Acid requirement by that factors means that for every box of Borax, I must add 36.2 oz acid. My idea is to dissolve the box of Borax in a 5 gallon bucket of pool water, add the acid, and stir. This would result in a final solution that should be very close to the same pH and TA as the pool. It would also be a dose that would approximate 5 ppm Borates for my pool size. 10 of those doses would be approximately 50 ppm :)

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

You don't want to mix the borax and acid in a bucket. Let them mix in the pool. I add a gallon of acid and then four boxes of borax, repeating until enough of each is added. As long as you are doing this all at the same time you could add all the acid and then all the borax. All that really matters is that you get the correct total quantity of each.

Does the borax take long to dissolve? I wonder about the merits of putting the acid directly into the pool and then the borax through the skimmer?

The great majority of the borax will dissolve quickly, but with that much being added there are likely to be small piles of borax that don't dissolve for several hours. If you see any accumulating somewhere you can brush them around to spread them out.

That much borax added through the skimmer would either need to be added quite slowly, or run a risk of blocking up the pump strainer basket.

You may already be aware of this, but an alternative to borax and MA is boric acid which you can put directly in the pool and it dissolves very quickly. It can be obtained for a reasonable price online from places such as dudadiesel.

Borates have begun :)

So I ran a comprehensive water test tonight. All ok. I bought the last 4 boxes of Borax that the store had...some more should be coming on their truck tonight, or so said the manager. So tonight I dumped in a gallon of Muriatic acid and sprinkled the 4 boxes of Borax in. I'll have to do the rest when I get the remaining Borax plus I gotta stop by the brick yard and pick up a couple more gallons of acid. So I'm off to a good start :) Tomorrow I'll test for chlorine only. I won't bother testing for pH and TA until my fully prescribed dose of Borates is completely in. Also, FYI I have found Muriatic Acid is quite a bit cheaper if you purchase it from a place like Lowe's or Home Cheapo. I buy mine from a place that specializes in catering to brick and mason contractors for like $5.17 a gallon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.