New to pools & hot tubs

VKJK

May 16, 2012
Folks,

Wanted to take a second and introduce myself before I flood the forum with questions. I recently purchased a foreclosure which was vacant and neglected for 7 months.
See below. So with the help of pool guy (just wanted some pro help for the first time) we got the water looking crystal clear. By bottom is slowly becoming white-my pool cleaner died.
I'm looking at either T5 or the MX8. Thoughts?

Things I have done so far:
Replaced all valves going to the pump ( still sucking air somewhere)
Cleaned the filter. Filter was packed solid with dirt.

Things in progress
Test kit in transit
Need to replace the calk around the perimeter of the pool
Replace the rest the pluming going from the filter.
Replace manifold or get a smaller pump.
Get a vacuum ASAP
Powerwash the deck
Install gate around the pool ( I have a 1 year old at home)

House also has a hot tub.
That requires new jets (some will not turn on)
Wood repair
New cover

I expect it will take me several months to get all of this knocked out.
Howdy from TX.

Thanks in advance for your feedback on T5 and MX8.
FYI - I can get a T5 for $199 and MX8 for $254 new.

Attachments

• IMG_20120501_171231.jpg
    IMG_20120501_171231.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 82
VKJK said:
My thoughts are:

T5 is good because it only has 1 moving part (diaphragm), is less likely to need repairs, and is cheaper.

MX8 will clean better, but has many moving parts. More likely to need repairs down the road. Make sure to run the MX8 using low flow (as intended). Also, if you have any type of palm leaves (or something similar), these can get stuck around the propeller blades.

blakej said:
VKJK said:
My thoughts are:

T5 is good because it only has 1 moving part (diaphragm), is less likely to need repairs, and is cheaper.

MX8 will clean better, but has many moving parts. More likely to need repairs down the road. Make sure to run the MX8 using low flow (as intended). Also, if you have any type of palm leaves (or something similar), these can get stuck around the propeller blades.

I have a jungle around my pool. No Palms trees (yet)
Will MX8 clean the pool betters in X amount of times vs T5 or will it in general clean better?

VKJK said:
Will MX8 clean the pool betters in X amount of times vs T5 or will it in general clean better?
The MX8 will clean the pool slightly faster than the T5..but nothing too significant. In general, the MX8 will just do a better job picking up debris in less passes. The MX8 does fine with normal 'jungle' leaves...it just has trouble with long, stringy, debris because of the propellers. Long leaves can get wound up in the blades and not pass into the suction hose.

Overall, I think you would be happy with either cleaner. The T5 will certainly be low-maintinence, and is a great price. The MX8 will do a great job cleaning the pool, but might require more attention down the road.

blakej said:
VKJK said:
The MX8 will clean the pool slightly faster than the T5..but nothing too significant. In general, the MX8 will just do a better job picking up debris in less passes. The MX8 does fine with normal 'jungle' leaves...it just has trouble with long, stringy, debris because of the propellers. Long leaves can get wound up in the blades and not pass into the suction hose.

Overall, I think you would be happy with either cleaner. The T5 will certainly be low-maintinence, and is a great price. The MX8 will do a great job cleaning the pool, but might require more attention down the road.

Thanks bud. I will go with T5. Just had a pool guy tell me that I have a dedicated pressure line. However, I need a booster, and a dual timer. ~$1,400 initiative. I will I will go with a T5 for now and get the pressure line working down the road.

Sounds like a plan! Just for your own knowledge, there ARE a few pressure side cleaners that do NOT require a booster pump. The Polaris 360 (Sku #: F1 ) and the Kreepy Krauly Letro Legend II (Sku #: LX5000G) both do the job. I still think you will be happy with the T5 though :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.