Calibrating digital Pool Pilot

May 17, 2012
Hi All,
I am trying to calibrate the salt level on my Pool Pilot Digital. I have had a water test by a pro and it reads 2200ppm. However, my pool pilot reads 6200ppm. I followed the instructions to calibrate the salt level on my pool pilot but it keeps going back to 6200ppm! here's what I did:

1) Press MENU button

2) Press Arrow UP to MAINTENANCE MENU, then press SELECT

3) Press Arrow UP to CALIBRATE SALT, then press SELECT

4) Adjust the salt display to match the reading of your test by pressing the Arrow UP or DOWN

5) Press SELECT (the unit will take some time to recalibrate the salt display)

6) After calibration is done, "EXIT MENU", press SELECT to return to main display

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Scoobie
15,000 gallons
cartridge filter
IG (in ground)
pebble

FC - 5.0
CC - 5.0
pH - 7.6
TA - 130
CH -
CYA -
Borates -

Welcome to TFP!

You appear to be doing the calibration procedure correctly. However, the unit will not calibrate that far. I don't remember the exact range for calibration, but it is somewhere around +-1000. Larger changes will be ignored.

One of those two salt readings is completely wrong, not just out of calibration. It is far more likely that your water test by a pro is wrong than it is that the Autopilot unit is wrong. We see wildly incorrect salt readings from professionals all the time around here. On the other hand, if the AutoPilot is wrong by that much it isn't just out of calibration, it is broken in some way. That could be anything from a loose connection, to scaling on the salt sensor, to a bad tri-sensor, or even a bad main board.

Another thing to keep in mind is that salt test results are not valid for 24 hours after salt is added. If you just added salt both readings could be "correct", the PoolPilot simply measured some water that had salt in it that hadn't mixed into the pool yet.

That makes sense. So, we just had our pool redone and put 5-40lb bags in a week ago and then took a sample to the pool store. I will try calibrating 1000ppm's at a time and I will also retest and check electrical connections. I'm just afraid of putting too much salt in. Thank you so much for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.