Pool timer info needed

joshs2000ss

Nov 10, 2010
South Central Kentucky
I currently manage two pools. One at my house and one at a rental property. I would love to have a timer for the pump so I don't have to turn them on and off or leave them running every day. Both pools are equipped with a SWG. Typically I never mess with the switch on the SWG, I just let it shut off automatically when it detects no flow.

Both pools have a similar setup. Both with a 1.4 HP Centurion pump (I don't know more than that off hand, but can look it up if no one knows the AMP rating). Both are wired for 220v. They are both wired directly from the pump to a breaker panel mounted on the exterior wall of the house. I turn them on and off by flipping the breaker, so I'm assuming I'm going to have to wire something inline unless there's something that can be installed in the breaker box to do this.

I've been browsing a little, looking for something that will work, but I figured you all would have experience with timers that work well and ones that don't.

Looking forward to suggestions on this as it will just make things a little easier.

Thanks,

Along these same lines, my setup lends asking another question.

I have a booster pump, which is also wired the same way my pool pump is, straight to the breaker box. Since they are wired seperately, there's a chance that I could get forgetful at some point and leave the booster pump on, across the shut off threshhold of the pump run time and that would leave the booster pump running while there was no water circulating. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm assuming this is a not a good idea. Would I be able to wire in a relay on the load side of the timer that would open when the timer trips to prevent the booster pump from staying on when there was no power to the pump (via the timer). I believe this will work, just making sure the timer can handle that bit of extra amp draw.

You can use a current sensing relay, as described in this post to make sure the booster pump doesn't come on at the wrong time.

Running the booster when the main pump is off is indeed a bad thing. For a little while probably wouldn't do anything, but the more it runs that way the more likely it is to damage the booster pump.

The power to the SWG should come from the load side of the timer. You should not just be relying on the flow switch to prevent the SWG running while the pump is off ... could result in a buildup of explosive gas.

jblizzle said:
The power to the SWG should come from the load side of the timer. You should not just be relying on the flow switch to prevent the SWG running while the pump is off ... could result in a buildup of explosive gas.

I did not wire in this fashion but I can change it fairly easily. What sort of explosive gas would be generated by the SWG running? Sorry but I'm not that familiar with this. FYI, I've been using the pump, albeit manually, in this fashion for 2 years per the instruction of the installer. (I know that it only takes once...)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.