Pump problems

May 17, 2012
Been running this pool for 5 years with 0 issues. Pump dies so I buy a pump (Waterway HI-FLO 1 hp 48 Frame) from a plumber who claims he has 50 + of the same units installed on all different types of pools some much larger than mine and they all work great. I insalled the pump spring last year and from day one its been hard to prime, cloudy water, poor vaccume sucking, any small particle that misses the basket cloggs the impeller and I have to tear it down (major pain when vaccuming). My old pump I had none of these issues. Even vaccuming in the spring the impeller did not clogg with even with leaves during vaccuming. Old pump I only ran at night and this one runs 24/7 and just barely keeps the pool clear. Changed the filter sand last summer to try and help but I noticed no difference.

Is it possible that this is the wrong pump for my pool? I have a 15 850 Gallon inground pool.

Thanks for any help.

Welcome to TFP!

That might well be the wrong pump, though some of the problems you ascribe to it couldn't be caused by a pump problem. Failing to keep the water clear is a combination of chemical levels and filter issues, and has very little to do with the pump (assuming the pump runs at all).

grillzy said:
When cloudy taken tests to 3 different pool places and all chems check out good. Only thing I can think of for cloudy water is lack of circulation b/c filter is clean and new sand.
Pool store results are not always the most accurate. Jason is right about chemical levels and filtration likely causing the water issues. How do you manage your chlorine levels? If you have been using chlorine tabs/pucks for the last 5 years (and not replaced water recently), then there is a high possibility that your CYA is too high. If this is the case, your free chlorine cannot properly do its job (attacking algae and bacteria).

Please disregard the cloudy issue and focus on the pump. Chemicals are 100% I know this for a fact. (FYI all water is changed every spring) I have listed the pump and my pool type and size. Is this pump suitable for my pool?
Grillzy

My question from the beginning was to clearify if the pump I have for my pool is addiquite to circulate the water volume of my pool or not. I was hoping that there was someone on this forum (which I have found very helpful) that was educated about pools and pumps to know if my current (pump) situation is adiquate to circulate the water in my pool.

If the pump is installed correctly and working correctly then it is a perfectly acceptable, though hardly perfect, pump for your pool. It is possible that the pump is installed incorrectly, or broken in some way, though you haven't given us enough information determine that. But even then, it couldn't be causing all of the problems you describe. If you can feel the return jet moving water then cloudy water is either a filter problem or a chemical problem, not a pump problem

Some questions that will help to figure out your problems.
What was your old pump?
What is your plumbing setup? ie: 1 1/2 single line or ???
Did anything else change when you changed out the pump?
How does the water flow seem to be compared to old pump?
Problems with new pump:
1. Hard to prime - The Waterway is an above-ground pump, not designed for a in-ground pool.
2. Poor vacuum sucking - Not enough vacuum? Not enough water flow? Any air in basket?
3. Any small particle that misses the basket clogs the impeller. How small that is missing the basket? Leafs, twigs, or??
4. Cloudy water. You said you change the water every year, was it clear when you put the water in? If so, how long was it before the water turned cloudy?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.