LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2011
Eastern Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
All this season I've been running with very low CYA levels. We started out around 15, but then added 4 pounds of stabilizer into the pool....thus bringing the levels up around 35. After about 2 weeks I tested again and I was right in the area. Today I added another 2 pounds into a sock and placed the sock into the skimmer to dissolve the stabilizer. After a few hours of the water flowing over it....and me squeezing it several times all the CYA was in the pool. I tested again and came up with a level of 55 which with the dull sky's today is right in range.

My question is this.....
I know that CYA takes about a week to show up in the tests, yet I had a result show up with the numbers I'd expect right after I added the stabilizer. Is it that SOME CAN show up right away after adding?? I did the test about 5 times, each with a reading between 45 and 60 on the test tube?

Good morning,

That "week" is sort of an outer limit based on anecdotal evidence received on the forum. In my pool it tends to show up within 24 hours but many others have reported much longer periods.......so we adopted "up to a week" to cover all the possibilities.

Thanks Dave! Had me worried there for a second. :) I'll retest early next week to see the true reading again. Either way I'm sure it's above the pool stores reading of zero!

Leebo said:
All this season I've been running with very low CYA levels. We started out around 15, but then added 4 pounds of stabilizer into the pool....thus bringing the levels up around 35. After about 2 weeks I tested again and I was right in the area. Today I added another 2 pounds into a sock and placed the sock iinto the skimmer to dissolve the stabilizer. After a few hours of the water flowing over it....and me squeezing it several times all the CYA was in the pool. I tested again and came up with a level of 55 which with the dull sky's today is right in range.

My question is this.....
I know that CYA takes about a week to show up in the tests, yet I had a result show up with the numbers I'd expect right after I added the stabilizer. Is it that SOME CAN show up right away after adding?? I did the test about 5 times, each with a reading between 45 and 60 on the test tube?
Its really more along the lines of saving you money on reagents cause you use alot to test cya.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.