Thanks TFP and quick question

Robl

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 19, 2011
CT
I installed an AGP late august last year. Got a good deal being end of season and went for it. This past weekend I started building a deck around it. I had to uncover it and found a lovely dark green murky pool. With the deck framing I had to re-do some of the hard line plumbing I had done last year. Last night was lots of skimming to get rid of the leaves that managed to get under the cover. This morning (after lots of reading here on getting rid of algae) I shocked it and let the pump run full speed all day. When I got home after work it was no longer green (cloudy blue) and I could sort of see the bottom. Some more skimming and bumping the FC from 4 to 15 again I think it will be looking good tomorrow morning! I am running the pump of low speed over night hoping that the DE filter doesn't get clogged.

The money I paid for the TFP support was worth it just in knowledge and not having to deal with the pool stores and whatever chemicals the would have me buy. So far I'm in for 5 jugs of 182oz 6%. Seems like a deal for a full algae shock.
Thanks for the advice and sticky's here!

I went to Ocean State Job Lot and bought 4 cases of 12.5% for $3/gal. Seemed like a good deal and I think it should last most of the summer. I might get some more if you think that might not be enough? What do you think?

Another question I have is:
How do you get rid of the toads/frogs hiding under the top rail? They are so loud!

Thanks,
Rob

Store that bleach somewhere cool. It loses strength just sitting around, and it's one of those curves where the higher the concentration, the faster it degrades. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I have an inground, so I'm no help with the frogs.

Be sure to brush the walls and floor while you're shocking. Algae can grow a skin that blocks the chlorine. Brushing it exposes the stuff you want to kill.

I am not 100% sure you following the Shocking Your Pool process ... sounds like you have the right idea, but might be missing a few of the details ... like testing often and staying above shock level until you pass the 3 tests.

If you keep the FC levels up, I would think the toads/frogs should move along or die ... either way problem solved :)

I am following the best I can while still having a job! I am testing often and actually added bleach when I got home, then more after testing again 1/2 hr ago. I brushed the walls and floor this afternoon so hopefully that will help. I'll check it again in a couple hours and see how it's looking.

This morning the FC was still down but not as much as I thought it would be. Water looked good enough to swim in. Skimmed, brushed, tested and cleaned and recharged the DE filter. I think the worst is over :)
And I caught a little guy taking some laps so he's been evicted too.
Now I just need to adjust the PH and CYA and get the heater hooked up and the deck finished, lighting installed and hook up the rock speakers. Not enough hours in the day to do everything!

This morning the FC level was the same as last night! Water looks great, frogs are gone, bugs are gone and all is well. How would you measure shock levels w/o the TFP Test kit?

Ipe is coming monday so I can finish the deck. I'll post pictures if anyone wants to see the progress?

Robl said:
This morning the FC level was the same as last night! Water looks great, frogs are gone, bugs are gone and all is well. How would you measure shock levels w/o the TFP Test kit?

Ipe is coming monday so I can finish the deck. I'll post pictures if anyone wants to see the progress?
You would need a FAS-DPD test kit to measure chlorine at shock levels. If you have just the DPD kit you can purchase the FAS chlorine test separately from TF test kits(see the link in my signature).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know... I have the kit and was wondering how anyone else measures it. I know of 3-4 people that have pools and I'd be surprised if they a decent test kit at all. Sort of being sarcastic on the generic pool store test kits.

Robl said:
You don't. You guess. Or you take it to the pool store and they guess. And sell you something that may or may not help. But you've figured that out already, or you wouldn't be here. :wink:

The way I managed last year with a temporary pool after finding this site, was with a HTH 6 way. Not the best and I did have to "shock" once, but mostly I controlled the water and didn't let it get out of hand. What I did when I had to was dilute the pool water and test it. I only did a 50% dilution which would take me up to 10 ppm CL. While shocking, when I dropped into that range I would use the Pool Calculator to take it back above the minimum shock level. I only had a minor outbreak of algae and got on it quick so didn't have a battle royal, otherwise I don't think I could have done it. It proved to me that it was something I could handle with a good test kit and we are in the process of installing a bigger more permanent pool. And I already have the TF-100 kit to use with it. :-D

...and we are in the process of installing a bigger more permanent pool. And I already have the TF-100 kit to use with it.

Dan, this is precisely where we are now. We sit by our (cautiously) clean, blue pop up pool and dream about next Summer. My main thing is that I want to protect the liner better. Lots of work to be done, but the pool is a great reward.

-Bill

I left Friday for a family visit to MD on Friday. I left the pool at 15 on friday afternoon. This evening it was down to 4.5 and the water looks great. I think I beat the algae! Rover Jr is cleaning up the bottom nicely and the decking was delivered today. Pool season is off to a great start!

Solar covers vary in how much UV they transmit and thus in how much they affect chlorine lost to sunlight. Most of them are at least somewhat UV opaque and make chlorine last longer, but there are some that are UV transparent and have no effect on chlorine consumption.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.