Need new pump

mtheaded

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 10, 2007
Lovettsville, VA
Here’s my situation. I currently have a Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP pump and a Hayward DE4800 filter. I replaced the pump two years ago (with the same model) when the original pump died and I came home today and the motor has frozen up on the pump. I need to get a new pump ASAP as the pool is open and will turn into a swamp in just a few days. From my research, I see a lot of people having problems with this particular pump that have been manufactured in the last two years and I really don’t think I want another Hayward based on that.

So….what are my options?

I am assuming there is some sort of rule about matching your pump and filter. Is that true?

How do I choose another pump, spec wise, that matches the one I am replacing? Do I just look for another 1 ½ HP pump?

What is another brand model that will give me the same (or better!) performance? (I have had no issue with the effectiveness of the pump, but a two year life span is unacceptable!)

Help!

No need to match pump and filter brands. I am replacing my Hayward 2HP with a Pentair Superflo 1HP 2-speed. Pentair has a good rep ... Superflo and Whisperflo are recommended with the later being a little larger for 2"+ plumbing.

You can likely get by with a smaller pump (cheaper and less electricity), but we would need more details about your pool to confirm.

EDIT: of course you could just buy a new motor and (AO Smith for example) and attach it to your pump (wet end) ... you could even switch to a 2 speed motor on the same pump

You know you can just replace the motor, you don't have to change the whole pump, in fact you can do it without disconnecting any of the plumbing on your pump, it is just 8 bolts plus moving the wiring connections and unscrewing the impeller. I have the exact same pump as you and last changed the motor on it a couple of years ago, I think the cost for the replacement motor was around $150.

Ike

p.s. the drop in direct replacement is an A.O. Smith UST1152 (note if you buy the AO smith branded it will not be painted gold, but is a lot cheaper than the Hayward rebranded AO Smith motor), a quick ebay search shows they seem to now be selling in the $170 range

Thanks for the quick replies!

I wasn't suggesting that the brands have to be the same. Just thought that there is something about having a pump that matches the filter in terms of GPM or something so you didn't either a) make the filter less effective or b) pushing so much wtare through it you damage the filter.

Sounds like replacing the motor is the way to go for now. I'm looking for the fastest and cheapest solution and that sounds like just the thing. Thanks for the A.O. Smith info, Isaac-1! I might have to ask more questions about the method for replacing, but it sounds easy enough to do myself.

I was about to suggest changing the pump seal, that will add another $10-15 likely your pump seal failed and allowed water down the shaft into the motor. There are several you tube videos that show the process step by step, the super pump is a very popular model.

It seems like all the pump motors are made by AO Smith and all fail within 2-3 years.

Don't forget that if you go 2-speed motor you can save approximately 50% of your energy use. For example, my 1- HP Whisperflo moves about 50-60 GPM on high speed, but on low speed moves about 20-30 GPM. I just bought a flow-meter that I'm going to use to verify these numbers. High speed amps = ~7, low speed amps = ~1. So for approx. 1/8 the electricity you can move about 1/2 the water. Hence, you have to run your pump twice as long to get the same turn-over rate, but you end up using 1/2 the electricity to do it.

Good luck.

It seems like all the pump motors are made by AO Smith and all fail within 2-3 years.
There are many, many reports on the forum of pumps lasting 20 years. Mine is seven and sounds new. Probably much fewer than half of the people on the forum have had pump failure.

20 years ago, AO Smith motors were made in Ohio. They had a good design, and you could change the bearings fairly easily.

~10 years ago, they started making them in Mexico. They changed their design a little, and it became really hard to change the bearings.

A few years ago, they started making their motors in China. The last time I tried to get one apart to change the bearings I literally tore the motor up trying to get it apart. Apparently they don't want you changing the bearings.

My original pump motor lasted from 1988 to ~2006, and was still functional when I replaced it. My replacement pump/motor lasted from 2006-2011 and then it needed bearings last season. This season it died altogether.

FYI my original booster pump had a "magnetek" motor and it lasted from 1988-2009. When I replaced it I thought I was getting an exact replacement. When the pump/motor unit came in it had an AO Smith motor. When I complained to the seller they told me that AO Smith had bought out magnetek. This year the booster pump is already screaming and will at least need to have the bearings attempted to be changed or change the motor.

Not a good track record.

I did take apart the new motor and grease all the bolts and everything that tends to seize up, so we'll see if it comes apart in a few years. I have put bearings in hundreds of AO Smith small HP motors like these pool pumps, and IMO, they are not the same quality they were 20 years ago, just like everything else that has been moved overseas to China.

Perhaps this one will give me a longer service, but I see these same motors in the field everyday in a slightly different application (still pumping water though) and they are not lasting as long IMO. The good news is that we're paying what we did back in the 90's. Well, I guess it's good news if you weren't working at the AO Smith factory in Ohio.

duraleigh said:
There are many, many reports on the forum of pumps lasting 20 years. Mine is seven and sounds new. Probably much fewer than half of the people on the forum have had pump failure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.