New Kreepy Krauly Kruiser or Baracuda G3

In my experience there is not a lot of functional difference between the cheap or the expensive Kreepy Krauly clones, I owned several suction side cleaners over the years starting with the original Kreepy Krauly, before switching to a robot cleaner last year. Here are my observations:

Any design can get stuck in a given pool, it is just a matter of luck when it comes to step/ladder placement, etc. I have owned $69 China clones that would not hang up and $300 name brand ones that did hang up.

The more expensive ones tend to be built better, the $69 clone I mentioned above started falling apart within a couple of months, but I was able to patch it back together for a year or so (first thing to break was the snap together floppy weight, a screw and a nut put it back together, etc)

Some have silent flappers, others go clack clack clack like the orignal Kreepy Krauly, this is only a concern if your around the pool while it is running, or if the pool is right outside a bedroom window, etc. Also the more expensive ones tend to have better accessories like adjustable flow bypass, etc.

The G3 is interesting because it looks to have fewer moving parts than other devices, even Zodiac's own MX8 which is very popular. I'm in the market for a cleaner and am wondering which to get. My PB suggested the G2 or G3, I think because of the lack of parts to break. I wonder what the compromise is? Slower or less effective cleaning?

MassNerd said:
The G3 is interesting because it looks to have fewer moving parts than other devices, even Zodiac's own MX8 which is very popular. I'm in the market for a cleaner and am wondering which to get. My PB suggested the G2 or G3, I think because of the lack of parts to break. I wonder what the compromise is? Slower or less effective cleaning?
Some folks swear by the MX8, but in general, the G3 is better reviewed, and you're right about parts--for the most part, it's a replacement diaphragm from time to time. The MX8 is a little better at larger debris (leaves, etc.), which can get stuck in the G3 diaphragm, and I have one friend who disliked the in-pool noise the G3 made.

In general, though, G3 is better reviewed, cheaper (even after the mx8 rebate), and has fewer parts to worry about. If I had narrowed it down to those two, I'd go G3 in a heartbeat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.