First tests w/ the K-2006

innova

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 2, 2010
Hey everybody, hopefully I haven't messed things up terribly bad but here's where I'm at.

7000 G Fiberglass SWG pool.

Opened it w/ horribly dark green water, went through 12 1-lb bags of cal-hypo, then some bleach. Then I decided to get a bit more systematic, that brings me to now. I've got my K-2006 and just ran the first tests and ended up with;

FC= 8
CC= 42
PH= 7.0
TA= 70
CH= having the fading endpoint issue, will revisit after shocking.

Shooting a little higher than the recommended shock level of 10, I'm going to 14. PoolCalculator has me adding 87oz of 6%. CYA is truly at 0. Should I take advantage of the absence of CYA and just shock w/ the 87oz? Or do I raise CYA then reevaluate ?

Thanks!

-Jason

Usually seems like a good idea to get the CYA up to 20-30ppm to provide some protection from the sun when you are shocking ... the FC shock levels are not that much higher.

Although if you have a VERY green pool, the FC will be consumed by the algae before the sun has a chance ... especially at night. So, you might be able to start with no CYA, but you would be wise to start raising it up pretty soon.

Alrighty that makes much more sense! Like jason said above, I would get CYA up to around 20 sooner than later...then up to 30 after finished shocking. How is your water looking? Seeing progress?

Waiting for the sun to get lower before I put the bleach in to give it the best fighting chance. Just re-ran CH using the titrate method to combat the vanishing endpoint. Still looking purplish, and it separates into specks. I saw reference to this in another thread but it was never addressed. Reason I'm concentrating so much on CH here is that if it's too far gone, I'm going to have to drain the pool to fix it.

Here is the test after 70 drops of R-0012;

IMG_1889.jpg

And the pool :( :

IMG_1887.jpg

Your CH would have to be VERY high to require a water change. There are some members here that are in the 4 digits and can maintain the pool by keeping the pH under check.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
innova said:
Added 16oz of cal-hypo (have it laying around, and figured I could use some CYA)
Added 16oz of baking soda per calculator to bring up PH and TA into spec.

cal-hypo does not add CYA it adds CH

baking soda really only raises TA, which at 70 was likely fine.

EDIT: Stop worrying about anything besides adding some CYA and get to the SHOCKING

jblizzle said:
cal-hypo does not add CYA it adds CH
D*** IT.
jblizzle said:
baking soda really only raises TA, which at 70 was likely fine.
Dumping stuff in the pool makes me think I'm accomplishing things.
jblizzle said:
EDIT: Stop worrying about anything besides adding some CYA and get to the SHOCKING
I knew that was coming and I deserved it, thanks :)

8:00 am

Water still cloudy but markedly less green this am.

FC: 15
CC: 1
PH: 7.5
TA: 80

Plan is to clean cartridges and add approx 30 oz stabilizer to bring CYA to 30 per Calculator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just to update, pool is still a cloudy light green.

Last night:
FC= 20.5
CC= 1
PH= 7.2
TA= 90
CYA= 45

This morning
FC= 17.5
CC= 1
PH= 7.2
TA= 90

Pool calculator has me at a Shock Level of 16. I've been at/above verified shock level for days now. Just keep at it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.