Confused about Pentair Suntouch package options

kevreh

Bronze Supporter
Jun 2, 2007
Annandale, VA
Below is a list of the pool/spa combos you can get. I want to control: main pump, heater, booster pump, pool light (optional), and solar panels with actuator.

Questions regarding the packages below;

- Only the first and last one says it includes relays. Does that mean the other 2 don't?
- Anyone know what a solar valve is?
- Are actuators compatible with jandy 3 way valves (I already have one installed)
- Isn't the 40" Air sensor the same as the 40" Water sensor since they are both freestanding, not in the pvc?

TIA......

520820 Pentair SunTouch Control System (pool/spa) includes 2 Actuators and 2 Temp Sensors (20' Water, 40" Air) and 3 Relays
520819 Pentair SunTouch Solar Control System includes 1 Actuator, 1 Solar Valve, and 2 Temp Sensors (20' Water, 40" Solar)
520856 Pentair SunTouch Solar with 3-Way Valve includes 1 Actuator, 3-Way Valve, and 2 Temp Sensors (20' Water, 40" Solar)
520857 Pentair SunTouch Booster Pump Version includes 1 Relay, 3-Way Valve, 2 Temp Sensors (20' Water, 40" Solar)

The solar valve is "leaky", i.e. it allows the pipe going to the solar system to drain down when the pump is off. A standard 3-way valve is sealed when closed and the water would just sit there in the panels. For a solar system you want the solar valve, for a spa you want a 3-way valve.

I ended up getting the -820 package. It includes pretty much everything you need. Plus I have an extra actuator I can sell for about $80 or so, that will bring the package price down.

Called Pentair a couple times and learned; that that distances in the description is a typo...solar is 20' and water is 40". Also, I got two different answers in terms of the # of relays per package. One tech guy said they all come with 3 relays and the other said they dont'. Also, when ordering the "Single Body" vs "Pool and Spa" vs "Solar Only" packages don't affect the controller....just the accessories you get. I love Pentair products but they need to improve their packaging descriptions.

The actuator fits on top of my jandy 3-way valve. Pentiar makes different actuators....90 degree and 180 degree. According to tech support you can open them up and change something to make the 180 a 90.

Jason, reading the manual you have the panels drain down if their glass. Otherwise as long as you have a pressure valve at the top by the panels then you don't need the panels to drain. Is that your take or not?

FWIW, got mine at inyo pools, good price came fast.

You don't "need" the panels to drain down, but it is much better for panel lifetime if they are allowed to drain. In order for them to fully drain you need both a vacuum release valve and a "leaky" valve. With just a vacuum relief valve they will partially drain, perhaps mostly drain. The "leaky" valve makes sure they will fully drain. Without the vacuum relief valve they won't drain at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.