Hello all,

Per Taylor k2006 kit

Fc .5
CC .5
Ph 7.4
Ta 70
Ch 90
Cya 60

My swg has failed. Am debating on getting a generic replacement or the Hayward. I have ended up with too much salt and have been slowly changing out water. Salt is at 4200ppm now per Taylor k1766 kit.
Opened a month ago to a green pond. Went through a bunch of bleach to get where I am now. Which is cloudy hazy water. I can see the bottom in shallow, but not deep end.
Have added 4 182 oz jugs last three nights in a row with little to no change in cloudy water.
Thanks for any help,
Jon

Welcome to TFP!

You need to shock your pool. This is a process in which the steps must be followed properly to achieve.

Since you have no working SWCG, you essentially have a freshwater pool. Having the salty water won't hurt anything, but you need to shock and chlorinate as though the pool is a regular freshwater pool.

With a CYA of 60, the absolute minimum FC you should have is 5 ppm and that is when your water is clear. Your shock level FC based on that CYA level is 24 ppm. You need to bring your FC up to 24 and do you best to keep it there until your pool is clear, your FC holds to within 1 ppm of loss or less overnight, and your CC is 0.5 or less.

Here's the process in more detail...pool-school/shocking_your_pool

You can use the Pool Calculator (link in my sig) to calculate chemical dosages.

Hi,

Thanks for that info. I thought I was shocking the pool. But, was all wrong. I will read more in the Pool School. Is there anywhere that I can get decent info on Salt Cell replacements? I was pretty surprised to call the local pool store to get a price on the hayward replacement cell...they wanted $790. I have seen that same hayward t-15 cell online for $429. of course I thought I found a good deal for the replacement cell for $341, but it was a "bait and switch" for a generic salt cell. If the generic is reliable, I don't have a problem with buying generic. It has a 3 year warranty. any help?

thanks,
Jon

The generics haven't been around long enough for things to really settle down and be clear. Still, in the limited feedback we have heard, the results are mixed on generics. Some people are thrilled with all the money they saved, others have had major problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.