HAYWARD AQUATROL AQ-TROL-RJ (with Photos)

Re: HAYWARD AQUATROL AQ-TROL-RJ

Very easy to install. Does not require a flow sensor or check valve.
Only downside I found to that model was the cable on the cell is 15' long. You must have the control box within 15'.
You can always add a flow sensor and check valve later if you decide you want to move the controls.

Hi, just a heads up. I was looking at this same unit yesterday. Hayward has a rebate available on this for a free aquaray automatic cleaner. I think that once you register your SWG you can fill out the rebate form. The offer appears to be good thru 5/21/12.

here's the link: https://www.haywardnet.com/aboveground/ ... fm?terms=0

If the link doesn't work for some reason, just go to their website www.hayward-pool.com , scroll to the bottom and click on "rebate center"

Good Luck!
Angie

Thanks all. I ended up getting the HAYWARD AQUATROL AQ-TROL-RJ-TL version since my outlet and pump use the twist lock. It cost a bit more but it will save me from doing any wiring and I do like the twist lock plugs.

Thanks for the rebate too. I'll do that.
Rick

Rick Lohr said:
10 Lbs of CYA (HTH Salt 3in1) 2 x 5Lb/bag Walmart = $27 <--- Must be a better way to get CYA
I haven't compared the price yet to see if it is cheaper, but the last time I was in my nearest strip mall pool store, I noticed they sold bulk CYA in plain zip-lock bags.

Re: HAYWARD AQUATROL AQ-TROL-RJ-TL

I use AquaCheck. They work well as long as they are within expiration date. Most of the time I just use the digital read out from the AquaTrol, though, since that reading is what it goes by. I don't know if this is normal, but if mine gets unplugged from power, it doesn't give an accurate salt reading until it has been plugged in for about 24 hours. So I keep the test strips around for those times.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks Sue. That's good to know. My unit came today and it has some test strips with it so I will use those initially. I dumped in 7 40 Lb bags of salt and will use the strips and/or unit to figure out how much more to add.

Turns out they sent me a HAYWARD AQUATROL AQ-TROL-RJ rather than a HAYWARD AQUATROL AQ-TROL-RJ-TL.
(it has the straight blade plug, rather than the twist lock)
I decided to keep it and change my outlet and pump plug. The side benefit is that if I ever have to work on either the Aquatrol or the pump, I'll be able to plug them in at my work bench if necessary. It also gives me an extra outlet for anything else I may choose to plug in.

I'll have to get them to refund the difference in cost.

Next problem, the pool installer put the return hole too close to the upright member. I was just barely able to unscrew the old elbow because it kept hitting the upright. There was not enough room to screw in the new larger elbow, so I went to Home Depot and got some adapters to extend it out about 2 1/4 inches. Hopefully the extra lever arm and the weight of the probe won't cause any problems. When I lower the water level at the end of the season, I'll consider removing it. I think with the water drained I could remove the part that goes through the pool wall, install the elbow, then re-insert it. I could do that now, but I hate to lose all that water and salt that I just spent the last two days putting in. My water is metered I'd prefer not to waste it.

Rick

Hooked it up today and everything went fine.

Tomorrow I'll start generating Chlorine! :whoot:

Rick

Attachments

• Control Unit Sized.jpg
    Control Unit Sized.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 342
  • Pod Sized.jpg
    Pod Sized.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 342
  • Control Unit Open Sized.jpg
    Control Unit Open Sized.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 338
So a few things have happened. When I shocked the pool in the Spring, I put CYA in prior to the FC returning to normal so it took 11 days for the FC to drop from about 11 to 1.5 this morning. I turned on the generator this morning at 50% for the 12 hours while my pump was on. FC rose to 6 in one day. WOW. :party: I'll leave it off for a few days to let it drop. I'll try 20% next time.

Also, with the chlorine generator portion on off all week, my salt level read 3000 every day. I added 20 lbs of salt last weekend to get it up to 3200 but the level stayed the same at 3000. Today, after running the generator all day, it went up to 3400. WHAT? :hammer: Is the salt indication not accurate unless the generator is running?

And finally, AquaSupercenter refunded me $48.44 for sending the wrong unit. That turned out well. :cheers:

Rick

Does it matter on the RJ unit mounted vertically which end is up? On this web site I have seen pictures of the unit mounted both ways. The manual tells you nothing.

Thanks!

Agree. The manual stinks for plumbing this. And there is not a directional arrow on the SWG unit itself. W-T-F? I was planning to mount mine the way he has it in his picture!

So a few things have happened. When I shocked the pool in the Spring, I put CYA in prior to the FC returning to normal so it took 11 days for the FC to drop from about 11 to 1.5 this morning. I turned on the generator this morning at 50% for the 12 hours while my pump was on. FC rose to 6 in one day. WOW. :party: I'll leave it off for a few days to let it drop. I'll try 20% next time.

Also, with the chlorine generator portion on off all week, my salt level read 3000 every day. I added 20 lbs of salt last weekend to get it up to 3200 but the level stayed the same at 3000. Today, after running the generator all day, it went up to 3400. WHAT? :hammer: Is the salt indication not accurate unless the generator is running?

And finally, AquaSupercenter refunded me $48.44 for sending the wrong unit. That turned out well. :cheers:

Rick
I installed HP model last year.I love it.I got my system for less than $300 on Amazon.Was a price error.lol.Couple suggestion's.It will take a good week for salt level to settle.I keep mine set at 30-40 % and timer set to run 5 hour's in morning and evening.I used the strip's last year.But,mine has the flow switch and monitor for salt level is very close to test strip's.I get my salt from Southern State's in 50 pound bag's for about $5 bag.Using the Mix-in-fine.It's not bleached so it leaves a little dirt in the bottom.But,no big deal.Also,your system has no flow sensor so when pump is off it still running.The flow sensor monitor's water flow.When it senses no flow it shut's the generator off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.