Pump problems

kmb997

Jun 13, 2007
New Orleans
I have a Aquatools 2speed 2hp pump(2 months old) plugged into a gfci. When I got home yesterday, the gfci wasn't tripped, the pump was on low speed, but wasn't working or making any noise. I reset the gfci, unplugged the pump, plugged back in, and turned the pump back to low speed. The pump would make noise but the motor wouldn't turn. Does anyone have any ideas? Is this pump bad or is it stuck?

Thanks

Try opening up the pump strainer basket area, removing the basket and looking to see if there is any debris under there. For most pumps that will also give you access to the impeller, so you can check to see if it turns freely as all your parts suggested.

I tried turning the impeller from the outside of the pump and it turns. Should it spin when I turn it or should it turn the amount I turn it, only? I also took out the strainer basket and turned the impeller from the inside. It turns but only the amount that I turn it. I turned the power on and still nothing. I contacted the store I bought it from and they said they will probably swap it out for a new one.

Well, the impeller and shaft should spin as much as you turn it. It wont spin freely. However, if you are feeling alot of resistance or a grinding then the impeller is probably clogged. Often, if a pump isnt used for a few months, the shaft will lock up. Usually spinning the shaft first will fix this. There is a chance the pump is not wired correctly or there is an internal problem with a motor component. I'd say swap out the pump or motor-however- if it is not wired correctly then the store or service company may not accept another return.

The impeller will spin as much as I spin it. I don't think there is much resistance. The pump and filter were installed by an installer that works with the company I bought everything from, so I'm pretty sure they will take care of the pump. The pump is brand new and has only been used for two months.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.