Anyone using Zeobrite/Zeosand?

Our company had installed our first Zeobrite sand filters to our clients within a period of a month, a year and a half ago. After that time, simultaneously, problems reared their ugly head. Like many, we felt we have been sold up a creek with this product. To make a long story short, and a make-shift kitchen lab later, it was discovered that the Zeobrite media needs to be cleaned in order to maintain it's peak performance. Ah'ha! So this stuff is not so maintenance free after all. It's the ease of sand filter accompanied by the cleaning maintenance schedule of a DE filter only with no broken grids to to deal with. We were not told about cleaning it, just this was the best thing since sliced bread, better than sand, you're gonna love it now give us your credit card. In a kitchen lab we had to discover going about cleaning it ourselves.

As mentioned above, Zeobrite's pores clog up and when they clog up, the product becomes pretty much useless. Suntan oils, messy oak trees, pool water clarifiers, liquid algaecides or any type of pool water treatments that trap inside the filter will clog up the pores of Zeobrite media, requiring it to be cleaned.
We weren't concerned about the ammonia scavenging properties, our DE and cartridge filters don't do it, so why should we worry about it? I wouldn't be surprised if the Zeobrite literature stated it trapped neutrinos too. Initially, as an experiment, we used liquid chlorine to clean the media. No ill effects, no breakdown of the media were discovered since. We do however use the Zeo Filter cleaner currently as to play it safe. We are very happy with the results, now we have crystal clear Zeobrite pools every time.

So what's the bottom line on Zeobrite? Well, for a moment there, after the emotionally charged outbursts, we were ready to throw it all out and put everyone back on sand. Now that we know how to clean it properly, we continue to use and install Zeobrite on our clients who wish to buy it.

Zeobrite is not a bad product, just like the trophy wife, it just needs a little more maintenance than sand. :mrgreen:

Just note that the "no ammonia -- no chloramines" claim is terribly misleading because zeolites do not remove chloramines and if you have ANY chlorine in the pool at all, then any ammonia will get converted to monochloramine in seconds to a minute (depending on FC/CYA ratio) long before any ammonia will get to the filter. Also, the rate of release of ammonia from monochloramine in equilibrium is too slow to have any practical effect in a zeolite filter. So zeolites ability to remove ammonia is pointless in chlorinated pools (technical details in this thread).

ambrozlf said:
I have had pools for 25 years -- I wanted to fill in my inground New jersey pool last year after 18 years but i opted for a new liner ($2800) -- Since my spouse wanted to still have a pool -- To me it's a waste now due to kids are older and seldom used -- But besides that and being a licensed water plant operator -- I have gone thru all the different filters --- We use sand & gravel here in our old 60 year old plant with wood filters -- So thinking outside the box -- I decided to try zeosand/brite? -- But to leave about 120 # of sand in the 300# Hayward filter -- At least to keep the radials covered and added 75# of ZEO on tiop of that -- After back washing -- it seems to be working great so far --

I like the sand filterbecause it gives you the option to go to waste -- Which i hook
up a cardridge filter to vacuumn with -- A idea i seen what my son condo pool was doing - having a portable cartridge filter on a wagon to get out the crud - And leave the main filter do its main job -- 73's << N2FGP
So did it work well having both sand and zeosand (zeolite) together in the sand filter.

I used Zeobrite in my Hayward Sand Filter
I am pretty sure the PB installed it wrong
It is supposed to backwashed a few times in a certain order. I think they may have actually used sand and then when I confronted them they added ZeoBtite. But I can't proove it
It took them 2-3 weeks to get that water clear
Periodically and right now, I get some sort of brown sand/dirt that accumilates in the same places all the time.
I am sure the filter is not catching this stuff. (am getting ready to have it tested as I think it is some of the release agent used when they did my stamped concrete.)
When I vac it up and then DO NOT run the pump, the debris does not show uo the next day, except for a tiny bit that was likely just suspended in the water from disturbing from the vac process.
When I run the pump, the debris comes back within 10 hrs
I am asking the PB to remove the Filter and clean it and start over and or get me a new different kind.
The Zeobtite folks are very helful with advice, so I may call them to see if they want to come look at it before I bad mouth the product to the entire earth!lol

cood60 said:
I used Zeobrite in my Hayward Sand Filter
I am pretty sure the PB installed it wrong
It is supposed to backwashed a few times in a certain order. I think they may have actually used sand and then when I confronted them they added ZeoBtite. But I can't proove it
It took them 2-3 weeks to get that water clear
Periodically and right now, I get some sort of brown sand/dirt that accumilates in the same places all the time.
I am sure the filter is not catching this stuff. (am getting ready to have it tested as I think it is some of the release agent used when they did my stamped concrete.)
When I vac it up and then DO NOT run the pump, the debris does not show uo the next day, except for a tiny bit that was likely just suspended in the water from disturbing from the vac process.
When I run the pump, the debris comes back within 10 hrs
I am asking the PB to remove the Filter and clean it and start over and or get me a new different kind.
The Zeobtite folks are very helful with advice, so I may call them to see if they want to come look at it before I bad mouth the product to the entire earth!lol
Yea i have read in quite a few places that if the zeolite is not filtered properly;that you will have real cloudy water and be unhappy with the water quality.

I switched to zeo sand last week.... What a mistake... I did backflush for 10 minutes , waited 30 minutes to fill the pool some...then backflushed again. When I turned on to filter,,, the whole pool went cloudy.... after 3 days I went back to plain old silica #20.... The pool is crystal clear again. I did use 10oz. of SEA KLEAR to "boost" the clearing process..... NO MORE ZEO for me!

Here's my experience w/ Zeosand.

Installed it towards the end of the 2009 season when I had an unexpected filter failure. Water was sparkly clear at the time of changeover from sand to Zeo and continued to be for the rest of the 2009 season.

2010 season was unremarkable - you never would have known I was running Zeo v. sand.

2011 season - water took a long time to clear on opening. Never during the season did I have long periods of sparkly water, even though it was well maintained and algae-free. Learned I should clean the Zeo periodically and planned to do it this season.

2012 season - water cleared in the shortest time I can remember in the 17 years I've had this pool. It's been sparkly clear since the first week (the first week of April) and continues to be. And no, I didn't clean the Zeo as I had planned. No changes to my typical pool maintenance routine, either.

I don't know what the takeaway is here - just my experience.

If I had to do it all over again, I think I'd use Zeo.

Cheers!

I thought I had re posted my experience with Zeo but I don't see it. Anyway, My original dilema with the brown debris collecting in spots on the pool bottom is finally solved! When I finally got the pool builder to come to my house I asked them to please humor me and tale the filter valve offso we copuld look in the filter. They said, "Oh, we did not bring any tools! So I handed em a screw driver. They removed the lid to the valve and immediately said the spider gasket was deformed. They re-seated it and I have not had the problem since. I can't say any more without cussing :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.