What does it mean when you say the sun "burns off" chlorine?

doncaruana

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 25, 2011
Northville, Mi
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Does that mean that it breaks it down so that it re-bonds in the pool? I can't imagine it just turns into chlorine gas and escapes...does it? Otherwise, the principal of an SWG wouldn't seem to work (you'd have an ever-falling level of chlorine with nothing for the sodium to bond to).

So can someone explain that to me? I don't need to know for any maintenance purposes...I'm just a dyed-in-the-wool geek. :)

Re: What does it mean when you say the sun "burns off" chlor

From waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the dusty corner of my brain, during a conversation about de-chlorinating tap water for fish tanks, I seem to remember...

2OCl- --> O2 + 2Cl-

Our bleach produces Hypochlorite ions, which do the work of destroying organics. However, they're relatively unstable, and bombardment by UV light splits them into O2 (Oxygen molecules) and a Chlorine ion...which then, yes, outgasses.

I'm betting chem geek can come along and provide a more thorough and descriptive answer, but that's what my dusty old memory tells me anyway. :)

Thanks! So MUCH info here! The "dad" and "pool owner" in me are fighting with the "engineer" and "geek" in me for which to consume first!!

I'm an IT guy by trade, an electrical engineer by degree and a geek in every other way. I set the class curve in chem in college (means nothing now, of course), but I *loved* chemistry back then! It was like math with consequences!

Thanks for that link, Jason. Good stuff! I see my memory was "ok" but significantly oversimplified, and wrong about outgassing. Thanks for offering education.

Even the post I wrote that Jason linked to is an oversimplification, but shows the net result. In reality, the UV in sunlight breaks apart chlorine into radicals which eventually produce chloride ion and oxygen gas (technical details in this new post).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.