Small leak in filter drain

TomAtlanta

Sep 10, 2011
Atlanta Ga
Is "filter drain" the correct term for the pipe the water comes out of when you backwash or rinse? That is the pipe I am asking about.
There is a small amount of water coming out of it when I am filtering. It is about 1 cup every 2 hours, or 3 quarts a day. How much of a problem is this? Does it need to be fixed? I had the filter valve replaced just a few months ago.

Sounds like a seal in the filter valve is leaking. Do you have the push/pull type or the multi-valve? The seals in either are replaceable.

Ideally I would want it fixed, but the leak rate is pretty slow. Although, it could get worse is the seal gets more messed up every time you use it.

You should be able to remove the 6-8 screws from the top and inspect the spider gasket inside for damage. Apparently some of the newer designs have the gasket attached to the plastic plate and you have to replace that plate/gasket combo instead of just the rubber gasket.

If you switch the valve to Recirculate, does water still come out? Or if you move the valve around (like after backwashing) does the leak rate stay the same when you return back to filter? Mine sometimes does not fully seat unless I wiggle it a bit and I get a LOT of water out the backwash when I thought it was set to filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.