Frustrated..Green Water uhhhhh!!

Test results
FC: shocked yesterday to 15ppm
alk:90
ph:7.8
Cal:300
cya:35

Ok.First let me preface this whole spill by telling you guys in the past I have not covered nor kept my pool running/clean in the winter. So you can imagine what it looks like when i attempt to open it in the spring. NASTY. Regardless, i shock, vacumm to waste, shock again vacumm to waste and in about 4-5 days its clear. i realize leaving it uncovered is probably not the best way to WINTERIZE.

I am new to bleach and baking soda this year, but have started using it instaed of the pool store equivelants. At the first of the year, i purchased an ionizer to help with sanitation and save a little money in the long run on sanitizer/oxidation. Jury is still out on that dicision. So about a month ago i opened my pool with above metioned method. And in a week or so, it was clear. After a week or two of swimming the ALK went up to 110ppm, and i oxidized about 1/2 gallon of bleach per week. That maintains about a 2ppm level in the pool. ph was still around 7.4. One morning i come out and the pool was slightly green and cloudy. The green did not look like algea instaed like a chalky material.?????The next day it was super green(could not see shallow end). ph was then 8.2, fc=0, alk= 110. i added acid. droped alk to 50 and ph to 7.6..then added baking soda to bring alk to 90 and ph is 7.8

filter has been runnin 24/7 (with sand replaced last week)..i shocked beginnig of last week to 15ppm FC, next day FC was nothing, repeated the process last wed to 20 ppm FC, next day it held 3ppm water still green. yesterday shocked again to 15ppm, this am water was slightly lighter green...

Any advice to clear this thing up?? i didnt think there was supposed to be any algea with the ionizers.

You should read the article on How To Shock You Pool in Pool School. It spells out the correct procedure for shocking your pool. Briefly, you need to add chlorine several times a day to maintain shock level, not just add a bunch of chlorine and then wait to see what will happen.

Is it possible that I may be having a metal staining problem since i have an ionizer. And how should i approach my situation when i get home. Should i start by lowering the PH before continuously shocking the pool. or if in fact it is metal staining, is shocking still the correct approach

not sure how to tell? although pool today is now blue/white/cloudy not green FC 8, alk..80, ph..8.2...
better than its looked in the last week...added slightly more shock up too 15ppm as called for in "how to shock pool"..plan on letting filter run overnight and hope to see reults in morning.

we have aftermarket drop in steps in shallow i cant imagine much water flow through them...could this lack of flow be place for algea to hide and thrive??

Algae can hide out on any surface in the water. It is common to have "occult" algae in such places.

If your pH is 8.2 when your FC is 8, you need to lower the pH with acid.

The better you are at bringing the FC to shock level and keeping it there, the sooner this process will be over with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.