lighting question

doctnj

May 2, 2012
Looking ahead to landscaping on my build, I have read several of the lighting posts and also reviewed the NEC article 680. It states that (LV) luminares not to be places w/n 10 ft of the inside wall of pool even if gfci protected. I would think that a stray voltage issue is the problem. But I see several pictures where they seem much closer than that. Am I missing something?

A low voltage light w/n 10 ft is not ok, but standard 120v gfci outside of 5 ft is?

Low-voltage lighting systems, such as those covered by Article 411, shall not be within 10 ft of a pool, spa or hot tub even if GFCI protected [411.4]. Figure 680-13 un680-13 680-22B4 411-04.cdr

(B) Luminaires and Ceiling Fans.
(1) New Outdoor Installation. Luminaires and ceiling fans installed above the water, or the area extending within 5 ft horizontally from the water, shall not be less than 12 ft above the maximum water level.

There are a number of rules, and a couple of exceptions. The simple way to think about it is that nothing electrical can be within 10' of the water. However there are several exceptions, for example a dedicated twist lock pump outlet is allowed between 5' and 10', listed underwater lights are obviously quite close to the water, and things which are high above the water are allowed in some cases. There are also some very rare and expensive lights (with special current limiters) that are allowed closer, though it is often difficult to get them to pass inspection.

Now and again you see something that would never pass inspection because not all areas require inspections, or the change was a recent retrofit and slipped through the process. None the less, the great majority of luminaries are indeed 10' or further from the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.