Cloudy water and high Total Alk

Aug 4, 2011
9 days ago i had clear water but my FC was basically 0. I had a little algae forming so i shocked my pool that night with super shock (68% calcium hypochlorite). The water was very cloudy the next day. I has been slowly getting better but you can still barely see the bottom of the deep end. I don't see any signs of algae. It's been 9 days and i have been filering constantly and backwashing daily. I ordered the tf 100 test kit and here are my levels:

CYA = 60, FC = 3.5, CC = 0.5, TC = 4.0, Total Alk - 200, and ph = 7.2 - 7.4

I know my Total Alk is high but everything else seems reasonable. How do i lower my Total Alk? Does this have anyting to do with my cloudy water? Any help is very much appreciated.

I had this issue once when using calcium hypochlorite. I assumed there was undissolved calcium, or something else not dissolving, that was causing my pool to be cloudy. For me, it cleared up in a day or two.

What type of filter do you have?

Did you measure the calcium hardness of your water?

Also, it could be that you have algae. You do have some CC, and your FC is on the low end for your CYA level.

It can take the filter a week, or more, to fully clear up the water. As long as you are seeing a visible improvement each day then everything is working correctly.

There are instructions on lowering TA in Pool School.

If the filter pressure isn't going up very much, it might be appropriate to backwash the filter less often at this point. It will catch smaller particles if you give it more time between backwashing. On the other hand, if the pressure is going up 25% over the starting pressure then backwash regardless.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.