LifeTime Supporter
Jul 22, 2010
Advance, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just opened our pool this last Mother's Day weekend and have temps about the same now as we had a month later last year! We don't have a heater, but have water temps just above 70, which is great for us this time of year. I didn't go in, but the kids have been enjoying it already. One thing I did different, too, is I never really "closed" the pool as we don't get a hard freeze here and I took the chance to keep everything going, but only about one hour per day as opposed to the usual 9 hrs. Only had minimal cleanup to perform after shocking the pool due to the algae bloom (water temp hit the 60's 2 or 3 weeks ago). Now with easy add of some Sodium Carbonate, it's good to go! Thanks TFP for helping to make sense of easy pool care!

I'm also in your neck of the woods (Bellevue) and am interested in your experience with your Stenner injection system.

After a high CYA problem last year, I'm going to liquid chlorine but want to minimize the maintenance routine by installing either a Stenner injection system (15 gal. Reservoir) or possibly an SWG. I'm hoping you can help me decide by providing me the benefit of your experience to date.

During the swimming season, what is your approximate chlorine usage rate? Are you using 6% or 12% strength?How much, if any, do you use in the off-season, after pool temps are below 60F? Do you visualize that, in the future, you will switch over to an SWG? Is your Stenner pump set up to run on its own independent timer? Anything you'd do differently if you were doing it again?

Thanks for any help and insight you can provide.

Gary

Hello, glad to help! I installed the Stenner system June 1 last year and after getting it dialed in, am using about 3/4 gallon of 6% per day (36k gallon pool). I created an Excel spreadsheet and chart that I printed out and keep in my pool log which shows the rate of my pump along with delivery dosage, etc. Last year is the first year that I kept the pump running, had always closed the pool before that. I kept it running at just 1 hour per day and used no chlorine after the pool temp dropped below 60 degrees. Although I am a big supporter of TFP philosophy, using chlorine is more work than pucks. At some point, I do think I will more seriously consider a SWG. I currently have my Stenner run along with the pump, currently run for 9 hrs per day.

Point to note about the Stenner pumps in general that I found about the hard way this year. Late last year I noticed the pump made some clicking noises and the pump head would sometimes not advance (the motor continuously turns). I have the pump on a relatively low setting at 2 to 2.5 of its 1-10 range. I called Stenner the other day and they said that running the pump at such a low rate wears out the Index Plate sooner than it would if set at a higher setting. As such, they suggest I go to a #1 tube and then set the pump at 7 or 8 which causes the head to move more often. Fortunately, you can take the head apart, pull out the index plate and turn it over to get 2X the life out of it. The plate is about $20.

Check out this thread on the subject: i-ve-defected-to-the-dark-side-new-peristaltic-pump-t29652.html

Thanks for the info. I have a spare Intermatic timer that I thought I would use to control the Stenner. My thought was to run the Stenner at a higher rate for a shorter time; maybe that will help alleviate the low-rate problem you describe. I have read through the thread you referenced and also downloaded your excellent Excel spreadsheet. Great Info!

I just today received my 15 gal tank from Home Brewers; my Stenner pump should come next week sometime. My equipment is also in a shed so I've been using your experience and approach as my guide. Hope to be pumping chlorine by next weekend.

Also received a new solar cover yesterday and am in the process of getting it installed. So I'm definitely getting ready for the (relatively short) pool season here in the great Northwest.

Gary

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.