Safety Concerns about Solar Blanket

May 15, 2012
Hi All,
i am new to forum and have a question,

can the floated solar blankets cause any problem for the pets and kids?
Or do we have to use them always with reel and some anchors?

I have a pet and i really afraid that he can jump on it and get stucked. SO what is the bullet proof way to installa solar blanket?

Mine just floats in the pool, no anchors or reel. Both of our dogs were fooled by the cover, thinking it was a solid surface. The smaller of the 2 dogs is not a good swimmer and does not like the water. He went in when no one was home. He/we were really lucky he went in by the steps and somehow fought his way out. Our other dog is a very strong swimmer and is in the pool whenever we are. His ball went over the fence and when I opened the gate to get it he got to it first. He jumped right out into the middle of the pool with the cover on. I gave him some time to fight his way out but he couldnt do it and he is a very healthy and active dog. I yanked him out and he went on his way. We have a fence so he cant get in unless we let him in, the smaller dog is a different story. A young child would not stand a chance if they fell in and went below the surface. I wouldnt be able to enjoy having a pool unless it had a proper safety barrier.

Hmm, i dont have a fence and i have a cat so i think i need some anchors.
He jumped in to the pool last year while noone is around and the pool was not full, actully the deppest side was full, not the stairs side
and my father saw him by chance and and took him out
I dont want any disaster so i need the best solution for safety.
Any advice?

This winter our dog came in from outside dripping wet. I looked out expecting to see rain and instead found a big wet spot on the coping and decking. She obviously fell in and managed to get back out-nobody saw it happen so we don't know how much of a struggle it was.

We do have a floating solar cover.

A solar cover is not a safety cover. There are safety covers but they take time and effort to put on and take off. Most are used as off season covers. Your other option is pool safety fence. There are many brands avail both portable and perm mounts.

I had a solar cover for some time and was always concerned about the cover being on because my dogs will run across the safety cover over the winter and I was afraid they would try the same think with the solar cover. What I did was trim away about 1 foot of the cover all the way around the pool so they would stay off the cover. I tied the cover at each end to the pools ladder and diving board to keep it centered. Never had a problem.

I have checked and checked and as far as I am concerned, solar blankets do not make much of a difference. If you have a heat pump or solar panels, the solar blanket in my opinion is dangerous as ole he**. If anyone falls into your pool, the problem is, the solar blanket will allow their weight to pull them down, resulting in the blanket being pulled in around them, making it almost impossible to get out. I have checked mine all summer long and I might lose 5 degree's at nite and the solar blanket only stops it at 4 degree loss. Not worth the effort or the resulting loss off looking at the pool water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.