SWCG vs. Liquidator

smuggs

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 10, 2007
Gloucester County, NJ
I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate category, but let's give it a shot.

I'm currently considering the purchase of a Liquidator. Before doing so, I'd like to hear your opinions of going with the Liquidator versus a Saltwater Chlorine Generator. Clearly, the SWCG will be more money upfront. I am located in South Jersey, so my pool season is at best, mid-May to end of September, with perhaps a little longer for using the spa.

For what it's worth, we have a SWCG on our pool. My parents are currently building a pool and after discussion their options, they just ordered a Liquidator. They will also have an inline puck feeder as back-up.

I like my swcg, but the various quirks can be bothersome. We had to have one cell replaced within the first year, and inacurate readings in cold weather are kind of annoying. To me the Liquidator eliminates most of the disadvantages of using bleach and gives most of the advatages of a swcg. And if you want a salt pool, you can still add salt.

I think a SWCG is probably still the most carefree of options though. Also, I think the stone issues and corossion have been greatly overblow and exagerated and would not give that much weight in the decision making. But that's just me - you'll have to do your own research and come to your own conclusions.

keithw said:
I am on my second season with a Liquidator and am very happy with it. I also salt my pool to 2700ppm for feel.

Very interesting that you add salt to your pool even though it isn't a SWG. I've not heard of doing that before. Aside from keeping check on salinity levels, are there any other steps that you take or adjustments to your chemistry that you must take into account when salting a non-SWG pool? Seems that you really wouldn't need to as salt is pretty inert.

Craig

I also have a liquidator and I do like the way it works. It is a simple design which I feel is less maintenance. I have never had a SWG so i cant say much about those but I think you will probably her the pros and cons from others.

Pros. Liquidator
price
ease of install and everything you need will come with it.
being able to leave for vacation and not worry about the cl and I don't get the PH rise with the liquidator

cons liquidator
it takes a learning curve to get it set right
still have to carry the bleach to fill the liquidator
I feel the liquidator would freeze very easy so I don't put it on till May and remove it in Oct. There just doesn't seem to be enough flow to keep it from freezing. It is easy to remove and plug the jets.
your pump has to be ruining for the liquidator to work

I do like the simple design of the liquidator and had no problems with it last year time will tell. It is so simple I don't expect any problems.

I would like to see what the actual annual cost comparison of the two methods.

How much BBB cost per year?

How much SWG?
Muratic Acid?
CYA?
Shockit?

MY COSTS for SWG
My SWG pool uses about a gallon of acid every 6 weeks. 9 gallon a year ($40)
CYA None
Shockit None if you run the SWG enough to maintain Chlorine levels
Very little maintenance other than a water tests from the local Leslie's
So I see not much costs

iggy said:

How much SWG?
Muratic Acid?
CYA?
Shockit?

MY COSTS for SWG
CYA None
So I see not much costs

You can use this calculator to compare costs:

http://www.tdconsulting.com.au/bleach1.php

Just divide all numbers by 5 cause it uses 5 year period.

iggy said:

How much SWG?
Muratic Acid?
CYA?
Shockit?

MY COSTS for SWG
CYA None
So I see not much costs

A properly maintained pool using a Liquidator would not need any more CYA or "Shockit" than a swcg pool. The only differences would be the cost of buying the Liquidator, and the bleach, vs the cost of the swcg, electricity and increased acid.

SeanB said:
A properly maintained pool using a Liquidator would not need any more CYA or "Shockit" than a swcg pool. The only differences would be the cost of buying the Liquidator, and the bleach, vs the cost of the swcg, electricity and increased acid.
Plus allocated capital cost of initial SWG purchase plus regular cell replacement. These are actually the biggest parts of the cost.

With gasoline costing so much these days, just taking a trip to/from the pool store to get chlorinating liquid starts to add (a little) to its cost. :shock: Also, if you're using bleach and recycling bottles, there's that environmental hit (getting bottles refilled at a pool store is better).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Silly questions....

1) Is it possible to use 12% (Liquid Shock as my local pool store calls it) in my Liquidator?
2) If yes... How do I compare the costs between the 12% and 6%? I am thinking that I should break down the cost down to the ounce since the containers are different sizes. Since the 12% is twice the strength, should I divide the cost of the 12% by 2 to get an apple to apple comparison? All this is mute if I can't use 12% in the unit. :)

3 bottles (182oz) of 6% at $6.78 from Sams. (.04 per oz)
4 bottles (128oz) of 12% at $13.00 from the Pool Store. (.10 /2 = .05 per oz)

I put salt in my pool simply because it makes the water feel less harsh.

Here's my cost analysis on the Liquidator.

Cost was $133.00. During the summer, I use about a 1 - 2 gallon a week at $2ish. That's pretty much it. I never shock and rarely have to add anything else. Well maybe a box of Borax throughout the summer.

But I found the real advantage to be how clear the pool is. I have never had an SWG but used pucks for many years and manually added bleach for a year or two and the Liquidator makes the water seem much clearer than either of the two other methods.

Sabot, you are doing the math correctly. You can use 12.5% in the liquidator but you need to keep in mind that 12.5% has a much shorter shelf life than 6% and can lose strength in direct sun light. I would only use 12.5% if you can keep the liquidator out of direct sunlight and are using up the bleach in under six weeks from when you bought it. Some people make covers for their liquidator for this very reason.

I made a cover a few weeks back for mine, for it does get the morning sun. I noticed with my unit that the vinyl output hose has clouded up with the exposure to the chlorine and the check valve was not working correctly. I am in the process of replacing a few items. See this thread for more: http://www.troublefreepool.com/viewtopi ... 6&start=80

I really don't see a benefit with going with the 12.5% at this point. The costs are real close at this point. Shelf life is another factor. I need to talk to the pool store to see if they will carry not just the Liquidator but also 6% in large reusable containers. I have read that some stores do this, wonder what size container they use?

keithw said:
But I found the real advantage to be how clear the pool is. I have never had an SWG but used pucks for many years and manually added bleach for a year or two and the Liquidator makes the water seem much clearer than either of the two other methods.

Trust me, the water is equally clear with any system (if everything done correctly), as long as it is your system ;)
It's just psychological perception of things, like the grass was greener back in the days etc... :)

As far as the pool being clearer, I think that the liquidator helps. There is sludge like substance on the bottom of the Liquidator that would of ended up in the pool if CL was to be poured in manually also the addition of CL constantly instead of dumping a gallon of CL all at once probably helps.

One important factor which I do not hear very often is electical use of a SWCG. I read a post some where that said it was a very significant cost and that the SWCG companies down play.

I hope some one that breaks down electrical cost can do one for SWCGs.

I pay $3.99 for 2.5 gals of 10.5% CL at my local pool store. Some times they run a special buy two get one free so I get 7.5 gals (15 gals of store bought CL) for $8. That's $.53 (cents) per gallon of store bought bleach. They also have a CL card that every 10 refills get one free. So, for me buying CL at my pool store is a no brainer.

The biggest down side of CL is getting your clothes bleached out. I have ruined maybe 10 shorts and 10 shirts adding CL to my pool manually. Since I add CL to my Liquidator maybe once a week, I just change into one of my bleached shorts and change back afterwards.

The electrical costs of the SWG are minor compared to everything else. The average SWG might draw 1/2 amp peak compared to a pump that draws 5 to 15 amps and is running much longer than the SWG is actually active. In most situations main cost for a SWG is the cell.

JCJR said:
One important factor which I do not hear very often is electical use of a SWCG. I read a post some where that said it was a very significant cost and that the SWCG companies down play.

Us? Play down our major advantage? Never! :-D

We actually try to yell at every corner that the chlorine produced by SWG is much cheaper than buying it in store, if you don't count capital costs.

Even if you do count the capital costs, depending on your chlorine demand there can still be quite substantial savings.

It's usually the small pools or pools with short open season/low chlorine demand which are financially better off using liquidator or just manual method.

Strannik said:
JCJR said:

Us? Play down our major advantage? Never! :-D

We actually try to yell at every corner that the chlorine produced by SWG is much cheaper than buying it in store, if you don't count capital costs.

Even if you do count the capital costs, depending on your chlorine demand there can still be quite substantial savings.

It's usually the small pools or pools with short open season/low chlorine demand which are financially better off using liquidator or just manual method.

Good Statement Strannik from downunder.
I have a SWG and I live in Arizona where the swim/warm season is long and the sun likes to eat chlorine up.
In that case I can see why the SWG would be cheaper in the long run even with its initial costs.
I have had other types of pools and so far for me it is cheaper and less of a headace to maintain.
And I don't have to maintain a 40lb bucket of 3" chlorine pills.

How long is your swim season in Brisbane, Australia

Iggy from the cool part of Arizona

iggy said:
How long is your swim season in Brisbane, Australia

Iggy from the cool part of Arizona

In Brisbane, i'd say middle of October - middle of April.
But we never close down pools for winter, if you feel like swimming in 50 degree water you are more than welcome to ;)

Up north near Cairns you can swim all year round i'd say.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.